Mar 24, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
Shaquille O’Neal has been a very public friend to law enforcement at every stop on his NBA career, but now the TNT analyst is finding himself on the wrong end of police attention.
Shaq is being investigated for a possible assault as part of an incident from March 19 at the TNT studios in Atlanta, reports WSB-TV in Atlanta after obtaining the police report.
Through his attorney Shaq has denied any wrongdoing.
Let’s get the disclaimer out there first — being investigated is very different from being charged with a crime. Someone has filed a complaint against O’Neal but the truth of what really happened is far from clear, that’s what police are trying to sort out. Here is the key parts from the WSB-TV report:
Channel 2’s Ryan Young obtained a police report detailing the incident, but so far, O’Neal has not been charged with anything…
“(The co-worker) alleged Shaquille O’Neal tackled him to the ground causing injury to his back while they were at work at Turner Studios,” said Sgt. Greg Lyon with the Atlanta Police Department….
No one ever called police that night. O’Neal has not been charged. But the police department is still doing an investigation….
O’Neal’s attorney, Dennis Roach, sent a statement about the incident saying, “This was nothing more than horseplay. No one intended for anyone to get injured.”
The victim’s attorney said that surgery was required for the injuries sustained. The intent of O’Neal in any incident very well may not matter.
At this point in any investigation it is wise to take everybody’s account with a grain of salt. Or a handful. And to question what everyone’s motivation may be.
It will be interesting to see how TNT handles this. Because the alleged incident took place on their property you can bet that the company’s lawyers will be all over this as well.
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 1
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 1
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 14
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18
- Bulls pull away in double-overtime to take 3-0 lead over Bucks 10