Mar 24, 2014, 10:28 PM EST
Shaquille O’Neal has been a very public friend to law enforcement at every stop on his NBA career, but now the TNT analyst is finding himself on the wrong end of police attention.
Shaq is being investigated for a possible assault as part of an incident from March 19 at the TNT studios in Atlanta, reports WSB-TV in Atlanta after obtaining the police report.
Through his attorney Shaq has denied any wrongdoing.
Let’s get the disclaimer out there first — being investigated is very different from being charged with a crime. Someone has filed a complaint against O’Neal but the truth of what really happened is far from clear, that’s what police are trying to sort out. Here is the key parts from the WSB-TV report:
Channel 2’s Ryan Young obtained a police report detailing the incident, but so far, O’Neal has not been charged with anything…
“(The co-worker) alleged Shaquille O’Neal tackled him to the ground causing injury to his back while they were at work at Turner Studios,” said Sgt. Greg Lyon with the Atlanta Police Department….
No one ever called police that night. O’Neal has not been charged. But the police department is still doing an investigation….
O’Neal’s attorney, Dennis Roach, sent a statement about the incident saying, “This was nothing more than horseplay. No one intended for anyone to get injured.”
The victim’s attorney said that surgery was required for the injuries sustained. The intent of O’Neal in any incident very well may not matter.
At this point in any investigation it is wise to take everybody’s account with a grain of salt. Or a handful. And to question what everyone’s motivation may be.
It will be interesting to see how TNT handles this. Because the alleged incident took place on their property you can bet that the company’s lawyers will be all over this as well.
- Report: JaVale McGee close to signing with Celtics 0
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 6
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 11
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18