Mar 24, 2014, 4:07 PM EDT
T.J. Warren is an interesting fit in the NBA — the guy can put up points, but in a league that is moving away from midrange shots that is his bread and butter.
The 6’8” forward out of North Carolina State is still very likely to go in the middle of the first round — and he is going to go as he will declare for the NBA Draft, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Warren reached the decision with his family on Sunday and had been expected to inform the N.C. State coaching staff of his decision early this week, sources told Yahoo Sports. A formal announcement is expected to come soon.
In the right setting and system, one that plays up tempo, Warren could have value from the start. You could why in the “First Four” NCAA Tournament game when he dropped 25 on Xavier. Warren can score in transition, he works well off the ball, and he’s a solid defenders. He will knock down midrange jumpers with a little room.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $60,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,500. Starts at 7pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
But he’s not great at creating his own shot and he knocked down just 27 percent of his threes last season — wherever he lands that has to change. You can’t play the three or be a small four in the NBA unless you can shoot with real range and space the floor. He will need to develop that shot, if so he becomes an interesting potential rotation player.
In other news, Ohio State’s LaQuinton Ross will declare for the draft as well, reports Jeff Goodman of ESPN. Ross, a 6’8” small forward, led Ohio State averaging 15.2 points and 5.9 rebounds a game this season. The junior will forgo his final year of eligibility. DraftExpress has him being taken in the middle of the second round (which makes this a real risk for him to come out, there is no guaranteed money in the second round).
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 8
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 43
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 54
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 70
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 37
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16