Mar 24, 2014, 11:29 AM EDT
Two days later, he played 33 minutes against the Grizzlies. Then, he sat out the second game of a back-to-back the following night.
Somewhere along the way, an ankle injury suffered against the Celtics got worse.
Tom Haberstroh of ESPN:
Dwyane Wade likely out tonight vs. POR. New injury: Tweaked his ankle vs. BOS last week, Spoelstra says.—
Tom Haberstroh (@tomhaberstroh) March 24, 2014
The Heat’s title chances hinge on, maybe more than any other factor, Wade’s health. He and they have been patient all season, and it would be a shame if those plans unraveled so late.
LeBron James can certainly carry the Heat over the Trail Blazers. He’s averaging 35.8 points per game Wade has missed since the calendar flipped to 2014, and though Saturday against the Pelicans was his lowest-scoring of the 10 contest, he still nearly had a triple-double with nine assists and eight rebounds.
But the Heat need to jell together more than they need wins. For that to happen, Wade and LeBron must get on the court together. Their chemistry is fine, but for their teammates to click in new roles as Erik Spoelstra tinkers with the rotation, meshing with those two is required.
It’s difficult to tell which injuries are serious on a team like the Heat at this point. They’re overly precautionary, so minor injuries get treated the same as significant ones – at least by outside appearance.
Hopefully, this is the former.
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 11
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 45
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 58
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 89
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13