Mar 23, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
A recent slide saw the Suns fall out of the playoff picture, after putting together a surprising start that had kept them in the West’s top eight all season long.
Every win is critical now as they attempt to climb back into it, and Phoenix managed to win its third straight on Sunday, a 127-20 triumph over the Timberwolves that now has them within a half-game of returning to the postseason race.
Minnesota got off to an incredibly strong start offensively, building a first-half lead of as many as 22 points while putting 73 on the scoreboard in the game’s first 24 minutes.
But the Suns clamped down defensively in the second half, and had cut the lead to just 10 by the time the fourth quarter began. From there, the activity level increased even more, and Phoenix held their opponent to just 5-of-21 shooting in the final period, while forcing six turnovers and outscoring Minnesota 34-17 over the final 12 minutes.
Kevin Love put up video game numbers as usual, finishing with 36 points, 14 rebounds and nine assists. But he was just 2-of-8 in the fourth as the game was slipping away, and committed a key turnover with under a minute to play that hurt his team’s chances.
Markieff Morris led the way for Phoenix off the bench with 25 points and eight rebounds, while the Suns put together a typically balanced attack that saw six players finish in double figures.
The playoffs are within reach for Phoenix, with just two and a half games separating them from the sixth seed in the West. The Suns would prefer not to have to put together miraculous comebacks on the road to get there, but it’s good to know that they can overcome this type of adversity when absolutely necessary.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 2
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 14
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 39
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29