Mar 23, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
A recent slide saw the Suns fall out of the playoff picture, after putting together a surprising start that had kept them in the West’s top eight all season long.
Every win is critical now as they attempt to climb back into it, and Phoenix managed to win its third straight on Sunday, a 127-20 triumph over the Timberwolves that now has them within a half-game of returning to the postseason race.
Minnesota got off to an incredibly strong start offensively, building a first-half lead of as many as 22 points while putting 73 on the scoreboard in the game’s first 24 minutes.
But the Suns clamped down defensively in the second half, and had cut the lead to just 10 by the time the fourth quarter began. From there, the activity level increased even more, and Phoenix held their opponent to just 5-of-21 shooting in the final period, while forcing six turnovers and outscoring Minnesota 34-17 over the final 12 minutes.
Kevin Love put up video game numbers as usual, finishing with 36 points, 14 rebounds and nine assists. But he was just 2-of-8 in the fourth as the game was slipping away, and committed a key turnover with under a minute to play that hurt his team’s chances.
Markieff Morris led the way for Phoenix off the bench with 25 points and eight rebounds, while the Suns put together a typically balanced attack that saw six players finish in double figures.
The playoffs are within reach for Phoenix, with just two and a half games separating them from the sixth seed in the West. The Suns would prefer not to have to put together miraculous comebacks on the road to get there, but it’s good to know that they can overcome this type of adversity when absolutely necessary.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 0
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 9
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 0
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 26
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29