Mar 23, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Atlanta has been playing with a little fire of late, ever since the hot Knicks (winners of eight in a row heading into Sunday night) put pressure on them for the final playoff spot in the East.
This was the kind of loss the Hawks can’t afford if they want to make the postseason.
Atlanta was in charge for the first three quarters of this game — the Hawks shot 50 percent as a team while holding the Raptors to 36.7 percent shooting. The Hawks were up 11 and in charge. DeMarre Carroll was 7-of-12 for 17 points — it was that kind of game.
Then the fourth quarter happened.
The Hawks shot 6-of-22 overall and 1-of-10 from three in the fourth, plus they had four turnovers, a couple of them key. Meanwhile the Raptors shot 60 percent in the final frame, got 13 points from Kyle Lowry and 10 from DeMar DeRozan and stormed back for a comfortable 96-86 win.
The win keeps the Raptors two games ahead of Brooklyn for the Atlantic Division lead, plus the Raptors remain half a game up on the Bulls for the three seed (although I expect they fall behind the Bulls before the season ends).
Atlanta is now 2.5 games up on the Knicks, a gap the Knicks can close to 2 games with a win over Cleveland Sunday night. The Hawks do have a three game advantage over the Knicks in the loss column. The Hawks still control their own destiny, but they can’t afford letdown losses like this.
What let Atlanta down at the end of this game. Check out the Hawks possessions down the stretch after a pretty Paul Millsap a pick-and-pop three that had the Hawks up 3 with 3:50 left:
• Jeff Teague misses floater going one-on-three in transition.
• Teague misses a spinner in the lane.
• Millsap misses a spinner in the lane.
• Good ball movement got Millsap a wide open corner three, he missed it.
• In transition Hawks don’t attack but kick back to Teague for three, he misses.
• Shelvin Mack hits a floater in the lane to end 8-0 Raptors run.
• Coming out of timeout Lowry steals inbound pass right out of Millsap’s hands breakaway layup.
That was the ballgame.
Give the Raptors credit here — Lowry had 25 points on the night and made tough shots (like a floater across his body) late in the game, DeRozan hit some key midrange pull-ups in the final minutes on his way to 21 on the night. The Raptors played well and earned the win.
A win that gives the Knicks hope.
Sep 4, 2015, 12:23 PM EDT
Houston also reportedly adding Denzel Livingston, Remi Yusuf, Will Cummings
Sep 4, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Rocky plays the heel
Sep 4, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Durant played with New York coach Derek Fisher
Sep 4, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Will San Antonio extend it?
Sep 4, 2015, 8:32 AM EDT
He shot just 34 percent in Summer League.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
If he’s healthy and the vintage, athletic McGee Dallas could use him.
Sep 4, 2015, 12:33 AM EDT
Thomas is a former No. 4 overall pick.
Sep 3, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
The street artist Madsteez painted the commissioned piece.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
Weber played four years in college.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:41 PM EDT
Someone should tell him that isn’t up to him.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Whiteside’s deadline wasn’t until December 1.
Sep 3, 2015, 8:04 PM EDT
Someone is going to jail for a while.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:43 PM EDT
The Wizards are wise to wait on offering a max.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:04 PM EDT
He tore the ACL last month playing for Australia.
Sep 3, 2015, 5:09 PM EDT
The trade speculation around him is not based in reality.
Sep 3, 2015, 4:14 PM EDT
Moreland was reportedly considering Pistons and Lakers
Sep 3, 2015, 3:21 PM EDT
Weird or nah?
Sep 3, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
Cavaliers craft unusual contract to give Smith a partial guarantee next season
Sep 3, 2015, 1:23 PM EDT
Former Knick and Raptor had hip surgery
Sep 3, 2015, 12:28 PM EDT
Nets are reportedly valued at $700 million
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 19
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 27
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 51
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18