Mar 23, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Atlanta has been playing with a little fire of late, ever since the hot Knicks (winners of eight in a row heading into Sunday night) put pressure on them for the final playoff spot in the East.
This was the kind of loss the Hawks can’t afford if they want to make the postseason.
Atlanta was in charge for the first three quarters of this game — the Hawks shot 50 percent as a team while holding the Raptors to 36.7 percent shooting. The Hawks were up 11 and in charge. DeMarre Carroll was 7-of-12 for 17 points — it was that kind of game.
Then the fourth quarter happened.
The Hawks shot 6-of-22 overall and 1-of-10 from three in the fourth, plus they had four turnovers, a couple of them key. Meanwhile the Raptors shot 60 percent in the final frame, got 13 points from Kyle Lowry and 10 from DeMar DeRozan and stormed back for a comfortable 96-86 win.
The win keeps the Raptors two games ahead of Brooklyn for the Atlantic Division lead, plus the Raptors remain half a game up on the Bulls for the three seed (although I expect they fall behind the Bulls before the season ends).
Atlanta is now 2.5 games up on the Knicks, a gap the Knicks can close to 2 games with a win over Cleveland Sunday night. The Hawks do have a three game advantage over the Knicks in the loss column. The Hawks still control their own destiny, but they can’t afford letdown losses like this.
What let Atlanta down at the end of this game. Check out the Hawks possessions down the stretch after a pretty Paul Millsap a pick-and-pop three that had the Hawks up 3 with 3:50 left:
• Jeff Teague misses floater going one-on-three in transition.
• Teague misses a spinner in the lane.
• Millsap misses a spinner in the lane.
• Good ball movement got Millsap a wide open corner three, he missed it.
• In transition Hawks don’t attack but kick back to Teague for three, he misses.
• Shelvin Mack hits a floater in the lane to end 8-0 Raptors run.
• Coming out of timeout Lowry steals inbound pass right out of Millsap’s hands breakaway layup.
That was the ballgame.
Give the Raptors credit here — Lowry had 25 points on the night and made tough shots (like a floater across his body) late in the game, DeRozan hit some key midrange pull-ups in the final minutes on his way to 21 on the night. The Raptors played well and earned the win.
A win that gives the Knicks hope.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
Houston’s other second rounder, Alessandro Gentile, to remain in Europe
Jul 23, 2014, 8:40 PM EDT
If you really want something and you can afford it, why not? But Ballmer overpaid big for the Clips.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
Does this mean Boston will trade Rajon Rondo?
Jul 23, 2014, 7:12 PM EDT
Sacramento reportedly plans to file waiver claim on Casspi
Jul 23, 2014, 5:38 PM EDT
If Kevin Love goes to Cleveland does that impact Ray Allen’s decision?
Jul 23, 2014, 5:09 PM EDT
Numbers show a substantial increase in popularity.
Jul 23, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
Exum is a project but he also could be the point guard of the future in Utah.
Jul 23, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT
“I was about to get him kicked out of the camp,” Wade joked.
Jul 23, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
Good pickup to add some depth at the point, something Dallas needed unless you’re expecting a monster bounce-back season for Raymond Felton.
Jul 23, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
Is it better than the offer being put together by the Cavaliers?
Jul 23, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
He was given community services, which he can complete in Dallas where he was traded.
Jul 23, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT
Waiters will continue to be rumored to be available until he proves he can fit in with Kyrie Irving.
Jul 23, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
Dallas was counting on him for bench depth and now will be looking to replace that help in a depleted market.
Jul 23, 2014, 11:37 AM EDT
Minnesota wants to dump some bad contracts as part of the deal, and Cleveland isn’t taking them.
LeBron James sent cupcakes to Akron neighbors to apologize for commotion caused by his free agent decision
Jul 23, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT
People descended upon LeBron’s neighborhood as rumors swirled.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:21 AM EDT
Stackhouse coached against Hollins at adidas Eurocamp in Italy this summer.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
LeBron has used more than just physical gifts to become all-time great NBA player
Jul 23, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
Pacers center needs confidence more than a skyhook
Jul 23, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
Russ Smith had a nice Summer League.
Jul 23, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Dallas, seeking third point guard, has already met with Mo Williams
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 4
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 11
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 9
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 45
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 13
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60