Mar 23, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
Atlanta has been playing with a little fire of late, ever since the hot Knicks (winners of eight in a row heading into Sunday night) put pressure on them for the final playoff spot in the East.
This was the kind of loss the Hawks can’t afford if they want to make the postseason.
Atlanta was in charge for the first three quarters of this game — the Hawks shot 50 percent as a team while holding the Raptors to 36.7 percent shooting. The Hawks were up 11 and in charge. DeMarre Carroll was 7-of-12 for 17 points — it was that kind of game.
Then the fourth quarter happened.
The Hawks shot 6-of-22 overall and 1-of-10 from three in the fourth, plus they had four turnovers, a couple of them key. Meanwhile the Raptors shot 60 percent in the final frame, got 13 points from Kyle Lowry and 10 from DeMar DeRozan and stormed back for a comfortable 96-86 win.
The win keeps the Raptors two games ahead of Brooklyn for the Atlantic Division lead, plus the Raptors remain half a game up on the Bulls for the three seed (although I expect they fall behind the Bulls before the season ends).
Atlanta is now 2.5 games up on the Knicks, a gap the Knicks can close to 2 games with a win over Cleveland Sunday night. The Hawks do have a three game advantage over the Knicks in the loss column. The Hawks still control their own destiny, but they can’t afford letdown losses like this.
What let Atlanta down at the end of this game. Check out the Hawks possessions down the stretch after a pretty Paul Millsap a pick-and-pop three that had the Hawks up 3 with 3:50 left:
• Jeff Teague misses floater going one-on-three in transition.
• Teague misses a spinner in the lane.
• Millsap misses a spinner in the lane.
• Good ball movement got Millsap a wide open corner three, he missed it.
• In transition Hawks don’t attack but kick back to Teague for three, he misses.
• Shelvin Mack hits a floater in the lane to end 8-0 Raptors run.
• Coming out of timeout Lowry steals inbound pass right out of Millsap’s hands breakaway layup.
That was the ballgame.
Give the Raptors credit here — Lowry had 25 points on the night and made tough shots (like a floater across his body) late in the game, DeRozan hit some key midrange pull-ups in the final minutes on his way to 21 on the night. The Raptors played well and earned the win.
A win that gives the Knicks hope.
Mar 1, 2015, 11:30 AM EST
A look at upcoming retro releases of the Jordan VIII, Jordan 1, Jordan XIV Low, and the Jordan VII.
Mar 1, 2015, 10:00 AM EST
Odd timing, only because fans in Phoenix have historically shown up for games against San Antonio and Los Angeles.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:33 AM EST
Beasley throws one down in his second game back with the Heat.
Mar 1, 2015, 12:22 AM EST
He will be missed.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:00 PM EST
Warriors general manager supports idea
Feb 28, 2015, 9:30 PM EST
Howard has missed the last 14 games.
Feb 28, 2015, 8:04 PM EST
He will sit out Sunday vs. Boston.
Feb 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EST
Tom Thibodeau says Rose’s rehab plan is already mapped out.
Feb 28, 2015, 4:47 PM EST
Westbrook suffered the injury last night against the Blazers.
Feb 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
Rockets general manager says he recommended trading ‘everything’ for Harden in 2012
Feb 28, 2015, 2:30 PM EST
What else would he say?
Feb 28, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
He was beloved by former teammates.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:30 AM EST
He was evaluated by doctors after the game Friday.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:33 AM EST
He had been in the hospital for weeks following multiple heart attacks.
Feb 28, 2015, 9:30 AM EST
The Knicks got the double OT win in Detroit, this shot was key.
Feb 28, 2015, 8:00 AM EST
Westbrook is averaging a triple-double over his last five games.
Feb 28, 2015, 1:02 AM EST
To quote Bob Uecker, “juuuuust a bit outside.”
Feb 27, 2015, 11:00 PM EST
There is about as much chance of me getting a date with Emily Ratajkowski this weekend as there is of this actually happening.
Shane Battier on Carmelo Anthony: ‘Last two years I guarded him, he did exactly what the scouting report said he would’
Feb 27, 2015, 10:00 PM EST
Maybe, but Melo still dropped 50 on Battier’s Heat in 2013.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:00 PM EST
NBA teams are considering the question
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 4
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 10
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 5
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 16
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 8
- Shane Battier on Carmelo Anthony: ‘Last two years I guarded him, he did exactly what the scouting report said he would’ 15
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 18