Mar 23, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
Atlanta has been playing with a little fire of late, ever since the hot Knicks (winners of eight in a row heading into Sunday night) put pressure on them for the final playoff spot in the East.
This was the kind of loss the Hawks can’t afford if they want to make the postseason.
Atlanta was in charge for the first three quarters of this game — the Hawks shot 50 percent as a team while holding the Raptors to 36.7 percent shooting. The Hawks were up 11 and in charge. DeMarre Carroll was 7-of-12 for 17 points — it was that kind of game.
Then the fourth quarter happened.
The Hawks shot 6-of-22 overall and 1-of-10 from three in the fourth, plus they had four turnovers, a couple of them key. Meanwhile the Raptors shot 60 percent in the final frame, got 13 points from Kyle Lowry and 10 from DeMar DeRozan and stormed back for a comfortable 96-86 win.
The win keeps the Raptors two games ahead of Brooklyn for the Atlantic Division lead, plus the Raptors remain half a game up on the Bulls for the three seed (although I expect they fall behind the Bulls before the season ends).
Atlanta is now 2.5 games up on the Knicks, a gap the Knicks can close to 2 games with a win over Cleveland Sunday night. The Hawks do have a three game advantage over the Knicks in the loss column. The Hawks still control their own destiny, but they can’t afford letdown losses like this.
What let Atlanta down at the end of this game. Check out the Hawks possessions down the stretch after a pretty Paul Millsap a pick-and-pop three that had the Hawks up 3 with 3:50 left:
• Jeff Teague misses floater going one-on-three in transition.
• Teague misses a spinner in the lane.
• Millsap misses a spinner in the lane.
• Good ball movement got Millsap a wide open corner three, he missed it.
• In transition Hawks don’t attack but kick back to Teague for three, he misses.
• Shelvin Mack hits a floater in the lane to end 8-0 Raptors run.
• Coming out of timeout Lowry steals inbound pass right out of Millsap’s hands breakaway layup.
That was the ballgame.
Give the Raptors credit here — Lowry had 25 points on the night and made tough shots (like a floater across his body) late in the game, DeRozan hit some key midrange pull-ups in the final minutes on his way to 21 on the night. The Raptors played well and earned the win.
A win that gives the Knicks hope.
Nov 22, 2014, 1:56 AM EST
I missed JaVale McGee last year.
Nov 22, 2014, 12:01 AM EST
LeBron with a nice highlight package early in Friday’s contest against the Wizards.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:45 PM EST
Bledsoe said yesterday that Philadelphia would lose to a college team.
Nov 21, 2014, 9:46 PM EST
He will not play against the Mavericks, at least.
Nov 21, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
Kirilenko appears to be done in Brooklyn.
Michele Roberts: NBA agreed to work with union before attempt to ‘prove its toughness’ with Jeff Taylor suspension
Nov 21, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
National Basketball Players Association executive director: NBA ‘chose to bend to the pressure it feels from the current media spotlight’
Nov 21, 2014, 6:57 PM EST
Another top pick down. This sucks.
Nov 21, 2014, 5:59 PM EST
Any story that includes a chance meeting and conversation with Jerry Buss outside a men’s restroom is going to be golden.
Nov 21, 2014, 5:15 PM EST
You all know the Sixers would win easily, right?
Nov 21, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
Former No. 1 pick knows he fought perception due to Wizards’ struggles
Nov 21, 2014, 3:45 PM EST
LeBron said the same thing about Chris Bosh.
Nov 21, 2014, 3:02 PM EST
Kobe calls owners ability to pressure players into discounts ‘brilliant’ — but it won’t work on him
Nov 21, 2014, 2:12 PM EST
Hornets forward makes right move by accepting lengthy ban
Nov 21, 2014, 1:39 PM EST
Martin suffered injury against Knicks on Wednesday
Nov 21, 2014, 1:01 PM EST
Did Bulls center think Cousins flopped?
Nov 21, 2014, 12:25 PM EST
Brooklyn forward had fallen from rotation
Nov 21, 2014, 11:47 AM EST
Mark Cuban says technology will give his team an edge on the court
Nov 21, 2014, 11:08 AM EST
How long will Celtics general manager keep that stance?
Nov 21, 2014, 10:29 AM EST
Yup, Richardson is still hanging around the 76ers
Nov 21, 2014, 9:51 AM EST
Cavaliers and Rockets were reportedly interested in Timberwolves forward
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 49
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8
- Andrei Kirilenko leaves Nets for road trip, Lionel Hollins unsure if he’ll return 14
- Report: Danny Ainge telling other teams he won’t trade Rajon Rondo 13
- PBT Extra: How would the NBA benefit from legalized sports betting? 2
- NBPA ready to appeal Jeffery Taylor’s 24-game suspension 12
- Alex Len, No. 5 pick in a draft full of players who looked like busts as rookies, showing he doesn’t deserve the label 5