Mark Madsen insists his three-point shooting in final game of ’06 season wasn’t a blatant attempt at tanking
Mar 23, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
But Madsen is also viewed as the poster child for tanking, for his shot selection in the final game of the 2006 season as a member of the Timberwolves.
Minnesota, you see, could have lost a protected draft pick had it managed to win that contest over the Grizzlies. But Madsen put on a ridiculous three-point shooting display that most seemed certain was aimed at ensuring his team lost, even though he claims to this day that those were legitimate shots.
The Minnesota Timberwolves power forward who had not taken a three-point shot in 135 games and 1,617 minutes over parts of the previous three seasons took seven shots from beyond the arc . . . in a span of 9 minutes 4 seconds. …
None of them went in. Madsen finished 0 for 7 from behind the arc (one for 15 overall) during the Timberwolves’ 102-92 loss. Not surprisingly, he doesn’t recall the experience fondly.
“Imagine being out there, catching the ball at the three-point line and the whole arena is yelling, ‘Shoot,'” Madsen said this week. “It doesn’t make me feel good. So in my mind, I’m like, you know what, I’ve worked hard on my game. I’m going to go out there and knock these down.” …
“There was a role that I felt I could have played and I had a number of DNPs that year,” Madsen said. “I was frustrated with that. I wanted to go out there and show people some of the things I could do, some of the things I had been working on.”
It’s tough to argue that Madsen wasn’t trying to prove something that night. But despite his sincerity all these years later in explaining his side of the story, it’s equally difficult to believe that the team putting him in that position wasn’t 100 percent intentional.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 19
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 3
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 4
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 8
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 14
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5