Mark Madsen insists his three-point shooting in final game of ’06 season wasn’t a blatant attempt at tanking
Mar 23, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
But Madsen is also viewed as the poster child for tanking, for his shot selection in the final game of the 2006 season as a member of the Timberwolves.
Minnesota, you see, could have lost a protected draft pick had it managed to win that contest over the Grizzlies. But Madsen put on a ridiculous three-point shooting display that most seemed certain was aimed at ensuring his team lost, even though he claims to this day that those were legitimate shots.
The Minnesota Timberwolves power forward who had not taken a three-point shot in 135 games and 1,617 minutes over parts of the previous three seasons took seven shots from beyond the arc . . . in a span of 9 minutes 4 seconds. …
None of them went in. Madsen finished 0 for 7 from behind the arc (one for 15 overall) during the Timberwolves’ 102-92 loss. Not surprisingly, he doesn’t recall the experience fondly.
“Imagine being out there, catching the ball at the three-point line and the whole arena is yelling, ‘Shoot,'” Madsen said this week. “It doesn’t make me feel good. So in my mind, I’m like, you know what, I’ve worked hard on my game. I’m going to go out there and knock these down.” …
“There was a role that I felt I could have played and I had a number of DNPs that year,” Madsen said. “I was frustrated with that. I wanted to go out there and show people some of the things I could do, some of the things I had been working on.”
It’s tough to argue that Madsen wasn’t trying to prove something that night. But despite his sincerity all these years later in explaining his side of the story, it’s equally difficult to believe that the team putting him in that position wasn’t 100 percent intentional.
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 1
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 15
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 59
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8