Mar 23, 2014, 9:30 PM EST
In addition to pouring in 51 points and hitting the game-winner in Friday’s double-overtime win over the Raptors, Kevin Durant picked up his 15th technical foul of the season, which tied him for the league lead with DeMarcus Cousins.
It was flimsy from the very start, as noted by Darnell Mayberry of The Oklahoman immediately afterward:
Also in the first half: KD’s 15th technical foul. It came with 27.3 seconds remaining in the half. It was bogus. Referee David Jones ruled that KD pushed Tyler Hansbrough. While technically true, it was the most harmless, “Let me go” push you’ll ever see. I’d be surprised if it’s not rescinded.
Trust your local beat writer, folks.
The technical was indeed rescinded, as Mayberry reported on Sunday.
Kevin Durant’s technical foul at Toronto has been rescinded. He now has 14, two away from an automatic one-game suspension.
— Darnell Mayberry (@DarnellMayberry) March 23, 2014
If he gets two more over the final 13 games of the season, it’ll mean an automatic one-game suspension, which on the surface seems hard to understand given Durant’s normally pleasant demeanor. But with the second highest usage rate in the league behind only his teammate Russell Westbrook, Durant has the ball in his hands more than anyone else, and is therefore the recipient of more contact from defenders that the referees let go without a whistle.
It’s something he needs to get in check, but the regular season numbers won’t hurt him in the playoffs; the count is reset once the postseason begins.
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 1
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 7
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 16
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 16
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 30
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 24