Mar 23, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
In addition to pouring in 51 points and hitting the game-winner in Friday’s double-overtime win over the Raptors, Kevin Durant picked up his 15th technical foul of the season, which tied him for the league lead with DeMarcus Cousins.
It was flimsy from the very start, as noted by Darnell Mayberry of The Oklahoman immediately afterward:
Also in the first half: KD’s 15th technical foul. It came with 27.3 seconds remaining in the half. It was bogus. Referee David Jones ruled that KD pushed Tyler Hansbrough. While technically true, it was the most harmless, “Let me go” push you’ll ever see. I’d be surprised if it’s not rescinded.
Trust your local beat writer, folks.
The technical was indeed rescinded, as Mayberry reported on Sunday.
Kevin Durant’s technical foul at Toronto has been rescinded. He now has 14, two away from an automatic one-game suspension.
— Darnell Mayberry (@DarnellMayberry) March 23, 2014
If he gets two more over the final 13 games of the season, it’ll mean an automatic one-game suspension, which on the surface seems hard to understand given Durant’s normally pleasant demeanor. But with the second highest usage rate in the league behind only his teammate Russell Westbrook, Durant has the ball in his hands more than anyone else, and is therefore the recipient of more contact from defenders that the referees let go without a whistle.
It’s something he needs to get in check, but the regular season numbers won’t hurt him in the playoffs; the count is reset once the postseason begins.
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 9
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 25
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 68
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 8
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 14
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 36