Mar 22, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Earlier this week, Tony Wroten lost the sole of one of his Jordan 10s in a game against the Pacers. Retro issues aren’t necessarily meant for on-court performance, especially at the NBA level, so this particular malfunction was somewhat understandable.
But Wroten kept the story going a couple of days later by saying that Michael Jordan himself had put in a call to personally apologize.
“It was more embarrassing than anything,” Wroten said Wednesday. “But things happen. I got an apology from Jordan. Yeah. … He called my agent.”
Once that got a little traction, however, Wroten and his agent denied what the player had said.
MJ NEVER called and apologized. I was joking around with a local reporter saying “yea he should call me agent” not knowing I would be quoted
— Tony Wroten (@TWroten_LOE) March 21, 2014
Jason Wolf of Delaware Online posted the audio of the exchange, and that’s not how it went down. Also, when listening back to what was said, there was zero indication that Wroten may have been joking while making those remarks.
“It wasn’t really a big deal,” Wroten said after the Sixers’ loss to the Knicks on Friday night. “But I just wanted to go on Twitter and let people know that Jordan didn’t apologize. … When you listen to the audio, it probably wouldn’t seem like I was joking at all, but that’s why I just had to come out and let people know I was.”
In a time where 100 percent of interviews with players or coaches are recorded, posting the audio should be the standard protocol anytime a disagreement or denial emerges over something that was said. Wroten’s final comments on the matter seem to be the most truthful in this whole mess, but it seems he only came completely clean once it was absolutely necessary.
- PBT Extra: Spurs lead Texas winners in NBA Free Agency 0
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 14
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 13
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 15
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 23
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80