Michael Jordan didn’t apologize to Tony Wroten for shoe malfunction after all

Mar 22, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

tony wroten AP

Earlier this week, Tony Wroten lost the sole of one of his Jordan 10s in a game against the Pacers. Retro issues aren’t necessarily meant for on-court performance, especially at the NBA level, so this particular malfunction was somewhat understandable.

But Wroten kept the story going a couple of days later by saying that Michael Jordan himself had put in a call to personally apologize.

“It was more embarrassing than anything,” Wroten said Wednesday. “But things happen. I got an apology from Jordan. Yeah. … He called my agent.”

Once that got a little traction, however, Wroten and his agent denied what the player had said.

Jason Wolf of Delaware Online posted the audio of the exchange, and that’s not how it went down. Also, when listening back to what was said, there was zero indication that Wroten may have been joking while making those remarks.

“It wasn’t really a big deal,” Wroten said after the Sixers’ loss to the Knicks on Friday night. “But I just wanted to go on Twitter and let people know that Jordan didn’t apologize. … When you listen to the audio, it probably wouldn’t seem like I was joking at all, but that’s why I just had to come out and let people know I was.”

In a time where 100 percent of interviews with players or coaches are recorded, posting the audio should be the standard protocol anytime a disagreement or denial emerges over something that was said. Wroten’s final comments on the matter seem to be the most truthful in this whole mess, but it seems he only came completely clean once it was absolutely necessary.

1. connorchew - Mar 22, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Tony wrotten is the man

2. cbking05 - Mar 22, 2014 at 3:06 PM

“…When you listen to the audio, it probably wouldn’t seem like I was joking at all, but that’s why I just had to come out and let people know I was.”

Jason Collins is rooting for you Tony!

3. rickeye9 - Mar 22, 2014 at 3:16 PM

I’m with tony, you have no idea when someone is joking or not, my best friends can’t tell, so how would a reporter or you or anyone know except for him? Cool, a writer taking the reporters side, obviously…

4. bballhistorian - Mar 22, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Apology-gate

5. jacobk621 - Mar 22, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Busted !!

6. spyder9669 - Mar 22, 2014 at 4:08 PM

A basketball shoe not necessarily meant for on court performance?

What?

• eugenesaxe1 - Mar 22, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Exactly.

• sumkat - Mar 22, 2014 at 5:25 PM

You left out a detail

A basketball shoe that retails for about $150 is not necessarily meant for on court performance

• sportsfan18 - Mar 22, 2014 at 6:05 PM

yeah, well many women wear bath suits that costs hundreds and hundreds of dollars that CANNOT get wet, be worn in the pool etc…

Some are MORE than $1,000…

The $1,050 swimsuit that you can’t even get wet: Hervé Léger cut-out design is strictly for poolside posing

But water babies beware, as a retailer selling the $1,050 one-piece is recommending that buyers don’t let it get wet.

• sumkat - Mar 22, 2014 at 11:57 PM

yeah, and we see plenty of those for sale at our local shops, so it’s an awesome comparison

a $1000 swimsuit is only meant for people who don’t care about dropping a grand on something with no real function

Most foot lockers are not in such locations

7. jbones77 - Mar 22, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Glad we got to the bottom of that.

• money2long - Mar 23, 2014 at 12:46 AM

We got to the SOLE of the misunderstanding

8. nokoolaidcowboy - Mar 22, 2014 at 7:16 PM

A lot of these are “poser” shoes. Designed for looks, not functionality. Drives me crazy to see the garbage on the shelf nowadays pandering toward kids. There’s even the lunacy of purchasing them never intending to wear them but instead to be put on a shelf! I think I saw something once where a pair came in a metal briefcase. Whatever.

Though the shoes I described above are for collectors, the player on the court deserve quality. And all of this may seem comical now until a really good player on a contender gets hurt badly.

The league should look into something like suing sneaker companies for blatantly shoddy shoes.

9. knoxxlive - Mar 23, 2014 at 1:29 PM

nokoolaidcowboy
    I guess all u wear is jabos

• pfic15 - Mar 23, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Jabos? Lol.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches