Mar 22, 2014, 12:04 AM EDT
Memphis is not going far come the playoffs without Marc Gasol.
Which is why him spraining his ankle and leaving the game against the Miami Heat on Friday night was not good news. Nor was this.
These days the walking boot is precautionary on pretty much every sprain, you can’t read too much into it. However, the Grizzlies play Saturday night at home against the Pacers and I wouldn’t expect him to play then. After that the Grizzlies host the Timberwolves Monday before heading out on a five game road trip that starts Wednesday.
Gasol will be re-evaluated on Saturday and we’ll find out how severe this is.
Ankle sprains can be all over the map but the Grizzlies are in a tough spot — they are the eight seed in the West, just one game ahead of the Phoenix Suns. The Grizzlies can’t afford to lose a lot of games right now if they want to make the playoffs. They need Gasol to do that.
Gasol missed a chunk of time earlier this season with a knee injury, but the Grizzlies raced back up the standings and into the playoffs after he got healthy.
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 40
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 59
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 31
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 47
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 26
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 23