Mar 22, 2014, 12:04 AM EDT
Memphis is not going far come the playoffs without Marc Gasol.
Which is why him spraining his ankle and leaving the game against the Miami Heat on Friday night was not good news. Nor was this.
These days the walking boot is precautionary on pretty much every sprain, you can’t read too much into it. However, the Grizzlies play Saturday night at home against the Pacers and I wouldn’t expect him to play then. After that the Grizzlies host the Timberwolves Monday before heading out on a five game road trip that starts Wednesday.
Gasol will be re-evaluated on Saturday and we’ll find out how severe this is.
Ankle sprains can be all over the map but the Grizzlies are in a tough spot — they are the eight seed in the West, just one game ahead of the Phoenix Suns. The Grizzlies can’t afford to lose a lot of games right now if they want to make the playoffs. They need Gasol to do that.
Gasol missed a chunk of time earlier this season with a knee injury, but the Grizzlies raced back up the standings and into the playoffs after he got healthy.
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 6
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 10
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 35
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 23
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 63
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 72
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 22