Mar 22, 2014, 12:04 AM EDT
Memphis is not going far come the playoffs without Marc Gasol.
Which is why him spraining his ankle and leaving the game against the Miami Heat on Friday night was not good news. Nor was this.
These days the walking boot is precautionary on pretty much every sprain, you can’t read too much into it. However, the Grizzlies play Saturday night at home against the Pacers and I wouldn’t expect him to play then. After that the Grizzlies host the Timberwolves Monday before heading out on a five game road trip that starts Wednesday.
Gasol will be re-evaluated on Saturday and we’ll find out how severe this is.
Ankle sprains can be all over the map but the Grizzlies are in a tough spot — they are the eight seed in the West, just one game ahead of the Phoenix Suns. The Grizzlies can’t afford to lose a lot of games right now if they want to make the playoffs. They need Gasol to do that.
Gasol missed a chunk of time earlier this season with a knee injury, but the Grizzlies raced back up the standings and into the playoffs after he got healthy.
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $100 million contract 3
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 6
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 12
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 37
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 35
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 58
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85