Mar 22, 2014, 12:04 AM EDT
Memphis is not going far come the playoffs without Marc Gasol.
Which is why him spraining his ankle and leaving the game against the Miami Heat on Friday night was not good news. Nor was this.
Gasol leaving American Airlines Arena in a walking boot—
Ronald Tillery (@CAGrizBeat) March 22, 2014
These days the walking boot is precautionary on pretty much every sprain, you can’t read too much into it. However, the Grizzlies play Saturday night at home against the Pacers and I wouldn’t expect him to play then. After that the Grizzlies host the Timberwolves Monday before heading out on a five game road trip that starts Wednesday.
Gasol will be re-evaluated on Saturday and we’ll find out how severe this is.
Ankle sprains can be all over the map but the Grizzlies are in a tough spot — they are the eight seed in the West, just one game ahead of the Phoenix Suns. The Grizzlies can’t afford to lose a lot of games right now if they want to make the playoffs. They need Gasol to do that.
Gasol missed a chunk of time earlier this season with a knee injury, but the Grizzlies raced back up the standings and into the playoffs after he got healthy.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 37
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 48
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42