Mar 22, 2014, 12:04 AM EDT
Memphis is not going far come the playoffs without Marc Gasol.
Which is why him spraining his ankle and leaving the game against the Miami Heat on Friday night was not good news. Nor was this.
Gasol leaving American Airlines Arena in a walking boot—
Ronald Tillery (@CAGrizBeat) March 22, 2014
These days the walking boot is precautionary on pretty much every sprain, you can’t read too much into it. However, the Grizzlies play Saturday night at home against the Pacers and I wouldn’t expect him to play then. After that the Grizzlies host the Timberwolves Monday before heading out on a five game road trip that starts Wednesday.
Gasol will be re-evaluated on Saturday and we’ll find out how severe this is.
Ankle sprains can be all over the map but the Grizzlies are in a tough spot — they are the eight seed in the West, just one game ahead of the Phoenix Suns. The Grizzlies can’t afford to lose a lot of games right now if they want to make the playoffs. They need Gasol to do that.
Gasol missed a chunk of time earlier this season with a knee injury, but the Grizzlies raced back up the standings and into the playoffs after he got healthy.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 7
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 17
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 5
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 47
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 36
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 15
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23