DeMarcus Cousins delivers unexpected apology to Spurs broadcaster Sean Elliott for last season’s incident
Mar 22, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
DeMarcus Cousins has showcased a consistent level of immaturity since coming into the league a few years ago, but a recent attempt to atone for a previous mistake may be a sign he’s ready to begin to turn things around.
Cousins was suspended two games last season for confronting Spurs broadcaster Sean Elliott after a game to discuss some remarks Elliott had made during the broadcast. It’s not something a player should ever do, and the league had no choice but to make a statement with the suspension.
Elliott is a ridiculous homer to be sure, but nothing he said would have justified Cousins going after him once the game was finished.
“That’s why some humility is in order,” Elliott said at the time. “You think you’re dominating Tim Duncan, you get it stuffed right back in your face. Timmy doesn’t like to talk trash. But if guys start talking mess to him, he’s going to respond. All that trash talking was premature. I’m not about to let these guys off the hook. Young ballclubs…should learn from this. Don’t start talking and flapping your gums against one of the greatest players ever. He’s going to make you pay. Tell me who got the best of this exchange.”
Before the teams met again this season, Cousins approached Elliott once again. But this time, it was to issue an apology.
There was a moment of reconciliation about 90 minutes before Friday night’s Spurs-Kings game.
Standing behind the press table at midcourt, Spurs broadcaster Sean Elliott was surprised to see Kings star DeMarcus Cousins walking toward him, hand extended to offer an apology to Elliott.
“I was surprised to see him come over to me,” Elliott said.
“DeMarcus seemed very sincere, and I really appreciated it.”
In the cycle of NBA news, it seems like an eternity ago that this incident took place. Good on Cousins for remembering, though, and for being the one to get it sorted out.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 52
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 34
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 35
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18