DeMarcus Cousins delivers unexpected apology to Spurs broadcaster Sean Elliott for last season’s incident
Mar 22, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
DeMarcus Cousins has showcased a consistent level of immaturity since coming into the league a few years ago, but a recent attempt to atone for a previous mistake may be a sign he’s ready to begin to turn things around.
Cousins was suspended two games last season for confronting Spurs broadcaster Sean Elliott after a game to discuss some remarks Elliott had made during the broadcast. It’s not something a player should ever do, and the league had no choice but to make a statement with the suspension.
Elliott is a ridiculous homer to be sure, but nothing he said would have justified Cousins going after him once the game was finished.
“That’s why some humility is in order,” Elliott said at the time. “You think you’re dominating Tim Duncan, you get it stuffed right back in your face. Timmy doesn’t like to talk trash. But if guys start talking mess to him, he’s going to respond. All that trash talking was premature. I’m not about to let these guys off the hook. Young ballclubs…should learn from this. Don’t start talking and flapping your gums against one of the greatest players ever. He’s going to make you pay. Tell me who got the best of this exchange.”
Before the teams met again this season, Cousins approached Elliott once again. But this time, it was to issue an apology.
There was a moment of reconciliation about 90 minutes before Friday night’s Spurs-Kings game.
Standing behind the press table at midcourt, Spurs broadcaster Sean Elliott was surprised to see Kings star DeMarcus Cousins walking toward him, hand extended to offer an apology to Elliott.
“I was surprised to see him come over to me,” Elliott said.
“DeMarcus seemed very sincere, and I really appreciated it.”
In the cycle of NBA news, it seems like an eternity ago that this incident took place. Good on Cousins for remembering, though, and for being the one to get it sorted out.
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 0
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36