DeMarcus Cousins delivers unexpected apology to Spurs broadcaster Sean Elliott for last season’s incident
Mar 22, 2014, 8:00 PM EST
DeMarcus Cousins has showcased a consistent level of immaturity since coming into the league a few years ago, but a recent attempt to atone for a previous mistake may be a sign he’s ready to begin to turn things around.
Cousins was suspended two games last season for confronting Spurs broadcaster Sean Elliott after a game to discuss some remarks Elliott had made during the broadcast. It’s not something a player should ever do, and the league had no choice but to make a statement with the suspension.
Elliott is a ridiculous homer to be sure, but nothing he said would have justified Cousins going after him once the game was finished.
“That’s why some humility is in order,” Elliott said at the time. “You think you’re dominating Tim Duncan, you get it stuffed right back in your face. Timmy doesn’t like to talk trash. But if guys start talking mess to him, he’s going to respond. All that trash talking was premature. I’m not about to let these guys off the hook. Young ballclubs…should learn from this. Don’t start talking and flapping your gums against one of the greatest players ever. He’s going to make you pay. Tell me who got the best of this exchange.”
Before the teams met again this season, Cousins approached Elliott once again. But this time, it was to issue an apology.
There was a moment of reconciliation about 90 minutes before Friday night’s Spurs-Kings game.
Standing behind the press table at midcourt, Spurs broadcaster Sean Elliott was surprised to see Kings star DeMarcus Cousins walking toward him, hand extended to offer an apology to Elliott.
“I was surprised to see him come over to me,” Elliott said.
“DeMarcus seemed very sincere, and I really appreciated it.”
In the cycle of NBA news, it seems like an eternity ago that this incident took place. Good on Cousins for remembering, though, and for being the one to get it sorted out.
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 0
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 41
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 4
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10