Russell Westbrook leaves after suffering knee injury against Raptors (VIDEO)

Mar 21, 2014, 11:33 PM EST

UPDATE 11:33 p.m.: Good news. Russell Westbrook left the arena Sunday night under his own power — no limp, no crutches and no boot — and said he would not miss time with the injury, reports Darnell Mayberry of the Oklahoman.

9:12 p.m.: Russell Westbrook left Friday night’s game against the Raptors in the third quarter with an apparent knee injury, following an inadvertent collision Kyle Lowry as the Toronto guard was defending.

Westbrook’s reaction was similar to the one he had when suffering the season-ending injury to the same knee in last year’s playoffs, but there’s no reason to speculate beyond what the visual evidence revealed.

The Thunder have been cautious with Westbrook as of late, choosing to sit him in back-to-back situations. The broadcast later called it a “right knee sprain,” and stated that Westbrook would not return.

1. innovativethinking87 - Mar 21, 2014 at 9:23 PM

This guy is done for.. Sad but he’ll never be the same. This is just the slow decline that happens in all the same stories. That knee is just completely damaged at this point

• fanofthegame79 - Mar 21, 2014 at 10:48 PM

If that’s the case, it would be sad. He was fun to watch and I’m not sure if he ever had the chance to really blossom.

• casualcommenter - Mar 21, 2014 at 11:44 PM

The Daily Oklahoman reports that Westbrook is fine and will be ready for the next game.

So, it was a career ending injury just you predicted, except not at all…

• spthegr8 - Mar 21, 2014 at 11:58 PM

It’s WAAAAAAY to soon to be writing off Russell Westbrook!!

2. phillyphil005 - Mar 21, 2014 at 9:23 PM

It looked fairly harmless to me. Two knees banging together…maybe a slight sprain , but I.doubt its a season ender.

• innovativethinking87 - Mar 21, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Oh trust me you’ll be surprised

• phillyphil005 - Mar 21, 2014 at 9:32 PM

We shall see

• casualcommenter - Mar 21, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Actually, we shouldn’t trust you.
        Per an OKC beat writer, Russell Westbrook was in great spirits after the game. Left the arena walking just fine. No brace. No crutches. Doesn’t expect to miss time.

So good job, fake internet doctor. Stick to your day job.

3. gameisours - Mar 21, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Please, be okay.

4. ihavenonickname - Mar 21, 2014 at 10:01 PM

That looked like the textbook mechanism of the “unhappy triad” — could tear the acl, mcl and medial lemniscus… I sure hope he’s ok.

5. wjmoffatt - Mar 21, 2014 at 10:15 PM

If he is done, so is my interest in basketball….Most boring and predictable sport in America

• ranfan12 - Mar 21, 2014 at 10:33 PM

One of the truly predictable things were Rasheed’s technical fouls

• bhunter1995 - Mar 21, 2014 at 10:39 PM

So LBJ and Ray Allens clutch 3s were predictable when the Heat won game six last year, cause last time I checked they were bringing the trophy out for the Spurs before that insane comeback happened. The one reason why BBall is such a good sport is the complete lack of predictability. Look at how the NCAA tourny has started out thus far. Duke lost to a 14th seed and only 66/11,000 of the brackets that were submitted to ESPN are still perfect so please tell me again how it is a predictable sport.

• adamsjohn714 - Mar 22, 2014 at 2:49 AM

Well, single elimination tournaments are always going to be unpredictable. I like the NBA because it almost always rewards the best team. There are fewer upsets because NBA players are extremely consistent when compared to athletes in other professional sports. You know that when a team wins the Finals they were one of the top few teams in the league that year, and not some lucky longshot that didn’t deserve a ring.

• casualcommenter - Mar 21, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Nobody cares, buddy.

If you stop watching basketball, if you join the NBA tomorrow, if you fall off a cliff tomorrow – nobody here knows you or would care either way.

• fanofthegame79 - Mar 22, 2014 at 8:51 AM

I don’t know…if ESPN came out and said “Some PBT commenter just made the NBA as a walk-on!” I would care. That would be pretty impressive.

6. progress2011 - Mar 21, 2014 at 10:40 PM

I feel so cheated, as a fan…

Two of the most EXPLOSIVE guards in the past 10 years (Westbrook & Rose) have been hobbled by constant injuries.

Not entirely sure why knee injuries are so prevalent now…It seems players from the 80’s and before, did not experience this amount of career ending knee injuries.

Really weird…..but very frustrating as a fan because I’d LOVE to see Westbrook and Rose match up a couple times a year, in their prime and healthy.

• savvybynature - Mar 21, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Probably just bad luck. I’m sure there were career-ending knee injuries nto guards in other eras, but perhaps they just happened to bench or role players so no one thought much of it (or people just forget about the Penny Hardaways, Grant Hills and Tracy McGradys). Just because it’s happened to two stars doesn’t mean injuries are on the rise, might just be that it happened to important players.
      Either way, when I heard on the news that he reinjured his knee, my immediate thought was, ‘Oh no!,’ and I’m a Spurs fan! If OKC lost the rest of their games it would suit me fine, but no one wants injuries to decide things. Hope he gets better!

7. bhunter1995 - Mar 21, 2014 at 10:51 PM

The injuries that should have you worrying are the ones where there is no contact at all, and the guy just drops holding his knee. This is a contact injury and the brunt of the force was received by his knee bone not his MCL which has been his problem. This is going to be a bad bruise, there might even be a little bit of a bone bruise but he will be back before the playoffs without a problem.

I’m no expert but common sense tells me that this isn’t a tendon tear, even though I’m not an OKC fan the league is just less exiting without Westbrook and a Thunder team that can go all the way so I’m hoping that I am right.

8. haaaaasoooooo - Mar 21, 2014 at 11:10 PM

So many knee doctors on PBT.

• casualcommenter - Mar 21, 2014 at 11:43 PM

And they’re all terrible. Westbrook walked out of the locker room without a knee brace or crutches and says he expects to be ready for the next game.

So it looks like the folks who diagnosed it as a career ending injury were “a bit wrong.”

9. kb2408 - Mar 21, 2014 at 11:56 PM

Man, this sucks! I would love to see how OKC with a healthy Russell would fare against the other elite teams. I know hindsight is 20/20 but OKC should have kept Harden and moved Russ. And I don’t say that because of Russell’s knee problems. I have said it for 2 years. OKC could win a title with Jackson at the point (or another decent pg), KD, Harden and Ibaka.

• adamsjohn714 - Mar 22, 2014 at 2:59 AM

Imagine Jose Calderon as their point. More shots for Durant and Ibaka, better 3 point shooting, and 6 fewer full sprint 1 on 3 midrange pull-up jumpers that clank off the rim in transition per game. Also, fewer turnovers. And did I mention more shots for Durant?

10. andreboy1 - Mar 22, 2014 at 12:30 AM

Russell’s mustache is so weak you can barely see it

11. antistratfordian - Mar 22, 2014 at 4:27 AM

Hopefully he’s okay, but if he’s not at least OKC will get an MVP out of it. Too bad about the playoffs though.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches