Mar 21, 2014, 2:53 PM EDT
Sacramento is giving Royce White a real chance.
At least that’s how he sees it. Houston drafted him at No. 16 in 2012 but the two sides clashed very publicly over how to accommodate White’s general anxiety disorder. Houston eventually wearied of the fight and traded him to Philadelphia, but for the Sixers that was always more of a move to save cash than it was them seeing White as part of their future.
On March 6 the Kings picked up White with a 10-day contract and sent him to their D-League affiliate in Reno for a few games. Then they signed him to a second 10-day contract Tuesday, called him back to Sacramento and he could play Friday night against the Spurs, reports the Sacramento Bee.
“I think (the issues) kind of resolved themselves over time,” White said Thursday after his first practice with the Kings. “Just me being in the league for a year and a half and having things be on the table with the league and the union and discussing it put this organization in a better position to handle things. It’s been so good we haven’t even had a discussion about anything. That’s exciting….
“It happened really quick, but we still did it in a way that was really thought out,” White said. “We took a number of things into account. (General manager Pete D’Alessandro) has been great and understanding with me, where I’m coming from, where I want to go and how that fits into the Kings’ organization and being real flexible with me, and I really appreciate that.”
White intrigued scouts because he could potentially play a point-forward role — he’s 6’8” but can be a playmaker. He’s been solid in D-League stints and with the Sixers in the preseason showed flashes but also that he had a lot of adjusting to do to get used to the NBA game.
The Kings are giving him a shot, and could pick him up for the remainder of this season. What that will mean for his future in Sacramento beyond this season remains to be seen, but Friday night against the Spurs could be a start.
- PBT Extra: Spurs lead Texas winners in NBA Free Agency 0
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 20
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 18
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 17
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 24
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80