Royce White could make NBA debut for Kings Friday night vs. Spurs

Mar 21, 2014, 2:53 PM EST

Royce White AP

Sacramento is giving Royce White a real chance.

At least that’s how he sees it. Houston drafted him at No. 16 in 2012 but the two sides clashed very publicly over how to accommodate White’s general anxiety disorder. Houston eventually wearied of the fight and traded him to Philadelphia, but for the Sixers that was always more of a move to save cash than it was them seeing White as part of their future.

On March 6 the Kings picked up White with a 10-day contract and sent him to their D-League affiliate in Reno for a few games. Then they signed him to a second 10-day contract Tuesday, called him back to Sacramento and he could play Friday night against the Spurs, reports the Sacramento Bee.

“I think (the issues) kind of resolved themselves over time,” White said Thursday after his first practice with the Kings. “Just me being in the league for a year and a half and having things be on the table with the league and the union and discussing it put this organization in a better position to handle things. It’s been so good we haven’t even had a discussion about anything. That’s exciting….

“It happened really quick, but we still did it in a way that was really thought out,” White said. “We took a number of things into account. (General manager Pete D’Alessandro) has been great and understanding with me, where I’m coming from, where I want to go and how that fits into the Kings’ organization and being real flexible with me, and I really appreciate that.”

White intrigued scouts because he could potentially play a point-forward role — he’s 6’8” but can be a playmaker. He’s been solid in D-League stints and with the Sixers in the preseason showed flashes but also that he had a lot of adjusting to do to get used to the NBA game.

The Kings are giving him a shot, and could pick him up for the remainder of this season. What that will mean for his future in Sacramento beyond this season remains to be seen, but Friday night against the Spurs could be a start.

1. sellahh - Mar 21, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Too many Baby Mamas for his anxiety, I guess.
    INB4: “OH YOU SO CRUEL YOU GOT NO IDEA HOW IT IS TO DEAL WITH ANXIETY”

• dreamshaker - Mar 21, 2014 at 3:24 PM

You’re not supposed to inb4 your own comment

2. nykfanwakemeupin2015 - Mar 21, 2014 at 3:04 PM

He looks like he is crazy

3. chunkala - Mar 21, 2014 at 3:27 PM

You can’t be a playmaker sitting on the bench, which is where he’ll be.
    Regardless doubt he could fill the point forward role.
    Success in Big 12 doesn’t equate to NBA success unless you played at Kansas. Poor competition in Big 12.

• kinggw - Mar 21, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Kevin Durant respectfully disagrees with your ridiculous premise as do all stars LaMarcus Aldridge and Blake Griffin.

• reesesteel23 - Mar 21, 2014 at 3:58 PM

beat me to it.

4. asimonetti88 - Mar 21, 2014 at 3:35 PM

The issue resolved itself huh? You mean you realized that if you didn’t show up to work you wouldn’t get another contract?

5. phillycannon - Mar 21, 2014 at 5:38 PM

I have a feeling that my Sixers will regret they cut him!!!

6. cruzan80 - Mar 21, 2014 at 5:56 PM

I’m sorry but I don’t share the same sympathy as most do for this kid. I do empathize with his condition. My brother in law suffers from a similar anxiety disorder where he can’t sit in the back seat of a car or fly on planes……but this ongoing situation with him as it pertains to becoming a part of the NBA is ridiculous in my opinion.

Every job has “requirements”. Some can be worked around…..& some simply cant. If you have a fear of sitting in a moving car…why should the U.S. Post Office allow you to become a mailman…but only delivery mail within walking distance of your own neighborhood??? If you couldn’t stay in small spaces for a long period of time….would you apply to be a cross country truck driver???

I understand having rights & everything but I feel like he’s using the public exposure that NBA has to his benefit. Folks all over this country have disabilities that prevent them from doing a job they would love to do & would do it well if they didn’t have something beyond their control stopping them. They simply do something else.

If you want to be an NBA player…you have to travel all over the country…period…its simple as that. It’s part of your job. If you can’t do it…..find another job like everyone else does.

• genericcommenter - Mar 21, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Well, all those people you mention could possibly benefit from the exposure via the NBA. BTW, a lot of people don’t just “go get other jobs,” because anxiety can be debilitating and employers discriminate even for jobs where the anxiety does not factor in. A lot of very smart and skilled people with disorders can’t even get an interview for any job.

7. rustyshackleford1 - Mar 21, 2014 at 6:38 PM

wait, he’s never played? and all the talk

8. mnsadsportsfan - Mar 21, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Wouldn’t count in it

9. haaaaasoooooo - Mar 21, 2014 at 9:11 PM

How is this a story? Some bench player doesn’t want to travel? What fan of the NBA actually gives a &@!t about this story. Are we STILL discussing this moron after a yr and a half?

10. campcouch - Mar 22, 2014 at 12:41 AM

The thought of having to get a normal job and making average money will solve any issues about playing in the NBA. Those PS4s cost a lot.

11. mackcarrington - Mar 22, 2014 at 3:22 AM

Grantland should do one of those documentaries on White riding busses across the country to his NBA games.
    They could call it “Rollin’ With Royce”.

12. kclanton80 - Mar 22, 2014 at 10:05 AM

“You must be truly desperate to come to me for help.” – Loki

Can Rockets, Grizzlies keep up hot starts?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches