Mar 21, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
Andre Miller was traded to the Wizards at the Feb. 20 deadline, after having a falling out with first year Denver head coach Brian Shaw.
Miller exploded over recording a DNP-CD that snapped a lengthy consecutive games played streak, and the team suspended him for two games but didn’t have him around the club at all once the punishment period had technically finished.
Miller claims to have been unfairly portrayed by the Nuggets throughout that process, yet wouldn’t exactly provide detailed clarification of his side of the story.
“I was made out to be the bad guy, the villain because I was the one complaining about minutes,” Miller told Yahoo Sports. “That wasn’t the issue at all.” …
“They gave me an opportunity to represent Denver,” Miller said. “I tried to do that the right way, but I was looked at as the bad guy, a disgruntled player. [The Nuggets said] I was complaining about minutes and that was never the issue. They made it look that way, and that I was upset. I understand that they have to protect themselves as an organization, but don’t blast the player.
“I came out and represented the organization, played games, practiced and did it the right way. Don’t bash me. It’s not true saying I was disgruntled about minutes and complaining. In reality, I was just speaking up for guys on the team and being a veteran leader. I was just doing my job.” …
“A lot of people don’t actually know what happened,” Miller said. “I didn’t get a chance to say my peace. I’ll leave it at that.”
Well, we still don’t know what actually happened, at least in Miller’s eyes. But what seemed clear is that his role on a Nuggets team that was going to miss the playoffs was going to be severely diminished, and he wasn’t ready to accept that.
Miller has yet to make a real impact in his new situation, but he’s playing serviceably, averaging 3.1 points and 3.6 assists in 13.7 minutes over his last 10 games with the Wizards.
- Paul George tweets: “I’ll be ok and be back better than ever” 0
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 74
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49