Mar 21, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
Andre Miller was traded to the Wizards at the Feb. 20 deadline, after having a falling out with first year Denver head coach Brian Shaw.
Miller exploded over recording a DNP-CD that snapped a lengthy consecutive games played streak, and the team suspended him for two games but didn’t have him around the club at all once the punishment period had technically finished.
Miller claims to have been unfairly portrayed by the Nuggets throughout that process, yet wouldn’t exactly provide detailed clarification of his side of the story.
“I was made out to be the bad guy, the villain because I was the one complaining about minutes,” Miller told Yahoo Sports. “That wasn’t the issue at all.” …
“They gave me an opportunity to represent Denver,” Miller said. “I tried to do that the right way, but I was looked at as the bad guy, a disgruntled player. [The Nuggets said] I was complaining about minutes and that was never the issue. They made it look that way, and that I was upset. I understand that they have to protect themselves as an organization, but don’t blast the player.
“I came out and represented the organization, played games, practiced and did it the right way. Don’t bash me. It’s not true saying I was disgruntled about minutes and complaining. In reality, I was just speaking up for guys on the team and being a veteran leader. I was just doing my job.” …
“A lot of people don’t actually know what happened,” Miller said. “I didn’t get a chance to say my peace. I’ll leave it at that.”
Well, we still don’t know what actually happened, at least in Miller’s eyes. But what seemed clear is that his role on a Nuggets team that was going to miss the playoffs was going to be severely diminished, and he wasn’t ready to accept that.
Miller has yet to make a real impact in his new situation, but he’s playing serviceably, averaging 3.1 points and 3.6 assists in 13.7 minutes over his last 10 games with the Wizards.
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 10
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 16
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 18
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34