Andre Miller says Nuggets made him out to be ‘the bad guy’ before trading him to Wizards

Mar 21, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT

andre miller wizards AP

Andre Miller was traded to the Wizards at the Feb. 20 deadline, after having a falling out with first year Denver head coach Brian Shaw.

Miller exploded over recording a DNP-CD that snapped a lengthy consecutive games played streak, and the team suspended him for two games but didn’t have him around the club at all once the punishment period had technically finished.

Miller claims to have been unfairly portrayed by the Nuggets throughout that process, yet wouldn’t exactly provide detailed clarification of his side of the story.

From Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports:

“I was made out to be the bad guy, the villain because I was the one complaining about minutes,” Miller told Yahoo Sports. “That wasn’t the issue at all.” …

“They gave me an opportunity to represent Denver,” Miller said. “I tried to do that the right way, but I was looked at as the bad guy, a disgruntled player. [The Nuggets said] I was complaining about minutes and that was never the issue. They made it look that way, and that I was upset. I understand that they have to protect themselves as an organization, but don’t blast the player.

“I came out and represented the organization, played games, practiced and did it the right way. Don’t bash me. It’s not true saying I was disgruntled about minutes and complaining. In reality, I was just speaking up for guys on the team and being a veteran leader. I was just doing my job.” …

“A lot of people don’t actually know what happened,” Miller said. “I didn’t get a chance to say my peace. I’ll leave it at that.”

Well, we still don’t know what actually happened, at least in Miller’s eyes. But what seemed clear is that his role on a Nuggets team that was going to miss the playoffs was going to be severely diminished, and he wasn’t ready to accept that.

Miller has yet to make a real impact in his new situation, but he’s playing serviceably, averaging 3.1 points and 3.6 assists in 13.7 minutes over his last 10 games with the Wizards.

1. mustangs2 - Mar 21, 2014 at 8:47 PM

The addition of the mouse cursor to the Wizards jersey’s looks sweet!

2. csiegert4 - Mar 21, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Don’t make these comments unless you’re going to actually say your peace and explain your side of it. How were you standing up for anyone?

• kinggw - Mar 21, 2014 at 10:26 PM

He did explain his side of it. He showed what a professional is by not going into detail.

3. ProBasketballPundit - Mar 21, 2014 at 9:46 PM

He’s probably right. Guys get suspended and/or traded for “speaking up for guys on the team and being a veteran leader” all the time.

• 00maltliquor - Mar 22, 2014 at 6:57 AM

True

4. rockymountainraider - Mar 22, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Do you guys forget Andre has always been this way, soon after he was traded to Denver he clashed with Karl about minutes and wanted a trade back then too. Just a old vet who dont know how to take a diminished role. Very Iverson-like if you ask me.

5. sire2334 - Mar 22, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Yet to make an impact? I can understand that if we’re going directly by numbers but he’s made a great deal of impact for this team.

6. kclanton80 - Mar 23, 2014 at 11:55 AM

I seriously doubt he got basically kicked off the team for defending teammates and trying to get them playing time. I think that would be a first in the history of sports. Of course he is going to try and make it look like he was innocent.

Many times veterans have a problem showing respect to young unproven coaches. It seems like that’s what happened here.It must have been a major blow up for them to pay him to stay away from the team.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches