Steve Nash might play again this season. Wait, what?

Mar 20, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT

NBA: Los Angeles Lakers at Houston Rockets Reuters

Two weeks ago, Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni said he “doubtsSteve Nash would play again this season.

One week ago, D’Antoni said “He’s not going to play.”

Now, continuing this logical illogical progression, D’Antoni says Nash could play again this season.

Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com:

“It’s still a possibility,” D’Antoni said Wednesday when asked if Nash could play at some point in the Lakers’ final 15 games. “We have to see where he is physically. … We’ll have to see some practices and see how it goes.”

The 40-year-old Nash told Time Warner Cable SportsNet on Tuesday, “I feel pretty good. I feel as though I could play now at a good level. The question is could I sustain it?”

This very well could just be D’Antoni placating the competitive Nash. If Nash is working hard to return – because that’s what devoted players do – why squash his hopes? There’s no benefit in proclaiming him to be done, especially if the downside is angering him.

But why would the Lakers actually let the 40-year-old Nash push his limits if he’s not completely healthy? As long as he demands his $9.7 million next season – which he should – the Lakers need as much as they can get from him next year. With his salary still on the books, they might not have the flexibility to get another starting point guard.

This season has become about increasing lottery odds. The Lakers can do that fine without Nash.

Next season, they can use him on the court, and I suspect that’s when he’ll play next, anyway.

1. ProBasketballPundit - Mar 20, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Who cares? Nobody was a bigger Nash fan than me and I’m sick of hearing about him. He hasn’t had one game with the Lakers that was as good as his average game with the Suns. Not one. Now he’s coming out with podcasts, 3-part documentaries about his rehab… just give it up. It’s over.

2. 00maltliquor - Mar 20, 2014 at 3:12 PM

I have no doubt he’ll come back for next year. I’m 99.9999999% positive he will. Only reason I’m not 100% is because I’m not God or Steve Nash himself. I wish there was a line on that bet, that’s free money right there.

3. andreboy1 - Mar 20, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Who cares

His time with the LA has sucked

That 30 for 30 that he directed sucked

Using his kids as an excuse to go to the Lakers sucked

He’s old and his body is not responding

His money is guaranteed if he just shows up

He’ll steal 10 mill. for doing nothing and leave the game

Never to be heard from again

• calkinsrob - Mar 20, 2014 at 4:42 PM

“Using his kids as an excuse to go to the Lakers sucked” lol wow. pretty ridiculous to think that wanting to move near his kids is an excuse. Get real man if any of you were in the same spot I dont see how you act any differently. He loves the game and this is the last big paycheck hell ever get through the nba. Id try to stay as hard as I could too. Blame LAs front office for giving him that much money

4. harshedmellow - Mar 20, 2014 at 5:00 PM

What could possibly go wrong with signing a guy to a contract that pays 10 mil when he’s 41?

Only thing stupider is paying Kobe all that scratch. He’s done too.

5. progress2011 - Mar 20, 2014 at 6:03 PM

As he said….”He Wants The Money”!!!

Run around for a few minutes…

Pound his chest a few times and mean-mug the camera….

Then grimace in pain and spend the rest of the game, laying on the sideline, stretching his back…

If that is all he has to do to get the buss dude to write the check for 10 MILLION!!!! He is the MAN!

6. onlyavoice - Mar 20, 2014 at 6:04 PM

He wants to show the Lakers he can play so they don’t cut him.
    He’s been done for a long time, it’s time to retire.

• mackcarrington - Mar 20, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Even if he gets cut he still gets paid.
      Besides, don’t we all admire athletes that say they’ll play “until someone rips this jersey off”

7. kamauthabiti - Mar 21, 2014 at 1:41 PM

as soon as someone touches him he is back to sick bay. he’s too weak to play.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches