Carmelo Anthony says he, Phil Jackson “on the same page”

Mar 20, 2014, 12:40 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v New York Knicks Getty Images

Phil Jackson is not going to be able to turn the Knicks around overnight. Or in one summer.

Even if you think he will be very good at being a team president, even if he can change the culture and bring a direction to the Knicks organization, it is still going to take a few years to right this ship. Their situation is a mess. They only have one of their next three first round picks and oversized expiring contracts are not the trade chips in this CBA that they were in the last one.

The first big question for Jackson is will Carmelo Anthony be part of that future?

At his introductory press conference Jackson said ‘Melo was a big part of the Knicks future plans, saying he thinks Anthony can reach another level. Of course free agent to be Anthony gets a big say in his future — and he said he and Jackson think alike, reports Ken Berger of CBSSports.com.

“I was hoping that I would be part of the future plans,” Anthony said before the Knicks played the Pacers. “I never once said that I wanted to leave New York or anything like that. The only thing I said was I’m going to dabble and try the free agency out, that I was going to opt out and become a free agent. … I’m excited about the opportunity to hopefully work with Phil….

“I love it,” Anthony said. “I don’t think that was anything bad that he said. As an individual, over the years I think I’ve gotten better as a player and I’m playing at a very high level as an individual right now. So for him to come in and say that, we’re on the same page. I believe that I can take my game to a whole other level that I haven’t even taken it to right now.”

Anthony, as hard as he fought to get to New York and as much as he likes being the face of the Knicks, has always looked for a reason to stay. Plus the Knicks can offer more money than anyone else.

Anthony said All-Star weekend that he was going to opt out of his current contract at the end of the season but that the Knicks would be “my first priority.” He going to give them the chance to sell him on a future and contending in NYC. If he doesn’t like those plans then he will turn his attention toward Chicago and Houston and other free agent destinations.

Jackson is a game changer in this scenario. As bad a season as the Knicks had, there is hope in New York now. You can envision a path to a championship. It sounds more and more like Anthony will want to walk that path and trust the Knicks to make it a reality.

Latest Posts
  1. LeBron’s 30-point performance leads Cavaliers to hard-fought Game 2 win over Celtics

Apr 21, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

Boston Celtics v Cleveland Cavaliers - Game Two Getty Images

LeBron had 30, Kyrie Irving added 26 to give Cleveland the 2-0 lead in the series.

2. Chandler Parsons out for Game 2, maybe rest of Rockets series

Apr 21, 2015, 9:41 PM EDT

Devin Harris, Chandler Parsons, Trevor Ariza AP

Devin Harris also out Game 2 for Mavericks

3. Nikola Mirotic could miss Game 3 against Bucks

Apr 21, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT

Milwaukee Bucks v Chicago Bulls - Game Two Milwaukee Bucks v Chicago Bulls - Game Two

Bulls forward strained knee in scuffle with Zaza Pachulia

4. PBT Extra matchups to watch: Spurs look for ways to contain Chris Paul

Apr 21, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT

Expect to see a lot more Kawhi Leonard (and Danny Green) on Paul from the start.

5. Report: Suns’ Morris twins charged with aggravated assault

Apr 21, 2015, 4:51 PM EDT

Phoenix Suns Media Day Getty Images

The twins were allegedly part of a group that beat up a man outside a rec league basketball tournament.

6. Hawks’ Al Horford says he will play in Game 2 despite finger injury

Apr 21, 2015, 4:14 PM EDT

Al Horford AP

Horford is going to have work to do on the defensive end slowing down Brook Lopez.

7. Brilliant spoof: Zach Randolph’s deep thoughts on cats, shirts, more

Apr 21, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT

Zach Randolph AP

Well done, Zach Randolph and the Memphis Grizzlies.

8. Nets list Mirza Teletovic as ‘probable’ for Game 2 vs. Hawks

Apr 21, 2015, 2:43 PM EDT

Brooklyn Nets v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

Teletovic was originally ruled out for the season on Jan. 23.

9. Report: Spurs might get a free agent meeting with LaMarcus Aldridge

Apr 21, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

Another report has Aldridge at no better than 50-50 to re-sign with the Blazers.

10. Raptors’ Lou Williams: ‘Staying in Toronto would be ideal for me’

Apr 21, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Charlotte Hornets Getty Images

Williams will be an unrestricted free agent this summer.

Mavericks need to contain Dwight Howard in Game 2