Mar 19, 2014, 6:27 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• LeBron James has his own flavor of Sprite — Sprite 6 Mix by LeBron James. This is the first time Sprite has worked with a celebrity to form their own flavor, but Sprite (owned by Coca-Cola) has a long history with LeBron and with the NBA.
“Growing up drinking Sprite, I never imagined I would have my own flavor someday,” James said in a released statement. “I had a great time working with the Sprite team to turn my favorite flavors into a pretty cool variation of one of my favorite brands.”
The drink has a little cherry and orange flavors added to a regular Sprite taste. Don’t worry, if you want to try it you will see it everywhere you shop soon enough.
• How the NBA is tapping into South Korean pop culture to grow its popularity.
• Speaking of pop culture, Lorde was at a recent Bulls game and was tweeting.
i am at a bulls game this is so intense how does everyone in this room not have a stress ulcer—
Lorde (@lordemusic) March 18, 2014
• No Kobe Bryant, no wins and not surprisingly Lakers television ratings in Los Angeles are down by almost 50 percent. A year or two of that happens, but if they stay low for an extended period Time Warner is going to want to renegotiate that monster deal they signed with the Lakers.
• Deadspin‘s Drew Magary took over the Atlanta Hawks’ official twitter feed for a while on Tuesday.
FACT: You know how they discovered the big bang yesterday? It was actually caused a by fearsome Pero Antic DEATH HAWK jam.—
Atlanta DEATH HAWKS (@ATLHawks) March 18, 2014
• I love this: In Toronto some fans are trying to get the team to do away with the “if your team scores 100 points you get free pizza” promotion because they want fans cheering for the team at the end of the game not booing the guy who missed the shot to get them pizza. We’ve all heard the “we want tacos” or whatever chant from fans at the ends of game. There needs to be a better promotion for food than this, some of which Kelly Dwyer lists in the above link.
• A look at the complexity of fixing the NBA’s lottery system.
• Scoop Jackson does a Q&A with Tom Thibodeau. That is a must click.
• Lakers’ co-owner Jeanie Buss tears up talking about how Kobe Bryant deserves the two-year, $48 million contract extension he got and how he deserves the farewell tour basically coming up for the next couple of years.
• If you want to know what the life of an NBA beat writer is like, this sums it up pretty well I think.
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 0
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 4
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 30
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21