Standing ovation for Phil Jackson when introduced at Madison Square Garden

Mar 19, 2014, 11:06 PM EST

Knicks fans welcomed new President of Basketball Operations Phil Jackson to New York with a wild standing ovation.

They also greet Jackson with unrealistic expectations — the mess this roster has become cannot be made right overnight, or even over one summer. It’s going to take a little time.

We don’t know yet if Jackson can thrive as an executive, as a coach he made some… let’s just say “interesting” pushes to get players. He’s not going to be perfect. That said if he is in charge and the basketball people are making basketball decisions while James Dolan stays on the sideline playing in his band things will be better than they have been the past few years.

1. mackcarrington - Mar 19, 2014 at 11:16 PM

He’s the biggest attention sponge.
    Anyone have the over/under on how many camera shots there were of him just sitting watching the game?

• illegalblues - Mar 20, 2014 at 12:13 AM

unless there are cameras in his den, probably not many come the 3rd week of the season.

• mackcarrington - Mar 20, 2014 at 1:26 AM

Huh…? What….?

• illegalblues - Mar 21, 2014 at 12:18 PM

i’m making a joke that you probably won’t be seeing him in the arena. so those camera shots would have to come from his den, i.e. his living room or whatever

2. dyn0myte - Mar 20, 2014 at 12:17 AM

I wouldn’t want to be the guy that had to clean the stains out of Jimmy Buss’ pants tonight.

• Professor Fate - Mar 20, 2014 at 12:44 AM

Jimbo could’ve had him and didn’t want to hire him so why would he stain himself over this? And in just what capacity would he have been hired? You think Buss should have hired Jackson to replace himself?

3. twesty85 - Mar 20, 2014 at 1:45 AM

I’ve never had allegiances to any basketball team. I’m just a huge basketball fan but when it comes to Phil I’ll follow him wherever he goes. Out of all the home state talent that’s come out of North Dakota Phil is #1. It makes me proud to think about how huge of an impact Phil has had on the game of basketball. North Dakota and the University of North Dakota FIGHTING SIOUX are proud of you Phil!

4. campcouch - Mar 20, 2014 at 4:17 AM

Standing ovation. Collected $12 million,gave an hour long interview…actually,I’d give him one for that heist!

5. nykfanwakemeupin2015 - Mar 20, 2014 at 4:39 AM

I have been to the garden for a lot of magical moments but tonight was up there. Maybe top5 . I called it so hate all you want. I knew they would beat the pacers tonight.

They have no chance of cathing Atlanta. Better chance the bobcats blow it but that doesnt look possible either.

6. davidly - Mar 20, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Not to pick a Knick or anything — I ate my crow about being so arrogantly wrong in denying this would ever happen — but the Knicks have thusfar been meticulous in referring to Jackson as just “President”, omitting the “of Basketball Operations” from the title, even on their website. Should we take anything away from this?

7. goldmember21 - Mar 20, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Knicks 2015 nba chaps lol

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches