Mar 19, 2014, 8:01 PM EST
NEW YORK – Andrew Bynum didn’t make the trip to New York for Wednesday night’s game against the Knicks, and the move to hold him out wasn’t simply precautionary the way it was on the first night of a back-to-back when Indiana played the Sixers on Friday.
Bynum is injured at the moment, and after experiencing some swelling which required him to have his knee drained, Pacers head coach Frank Vogel said he’s not sure how much time his new big man will miss.
“He played in the Detroit game, aggravated a previous condition and had some swelling in there,” Vogel said. “He’s going to be out for a little while.”
Bynum has looked good in the two games he’s played for Indiana — he finished with eight points and 10 rebounds in a 16-minute debut against Boston, and followed it up with 15 points and nine rebounds in 20 minutes in Detroit four nights later.
But Bynum’s ability to still put up numbers wasn’t really the question when the Pacers signed him; it was whether or not he could stay on the floor. Knee issues have plagued him for well over a year now, and they seem to be showing no signs of disappearing any time soon.
A healthy version of Bynum in the postseason would be a huge boost to Indiana’s chances. But does Vogel know yet what level of production he can count on from Bynum this season?
“We don’t,” Vogel said. “You know, obviously if he’s healthy it gives us one of the best centers in the league. He’s proven that in the short time [he’s been with us] in the two games that he played here. It’s just going to be a matter of how healthy he can be.”
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 5
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 28
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 58
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 44