Mar 19, 2014, 2:53 PM EDT
Kobe Bryant was on the Dan Patrick Show on Wednesday morning talking all things Lakers — the future of the franchise, Phil Jackson, Mike D’Antoni, and if Barack Obama could make the current roster. The full interview is above but here are the highlights:
• Kobe said he had breakfast last week with Phil Jackson and was told he was going to take the Knicks job, and not surprisingly Kobe expects Phil to do well.
• Dan Patrick (like some Lakers fans) are still hung up on Jim Buss not hiring Jackson to replace Mike Brown last year. Kobe tried to explain how Buss wants to put his own stamp on this team.
• On D’Antoni and if he should return: “I don’t know. It’s been tough on him. He’s been dealing with so many injuries. I don’t know if he’s gotten a fair shake.” Sounds like Kobe understands D’Antoni was never given a roster to fit his system, but that doesn’t mean Kobe wants to play in that system next season.
• Kobe says if the Lakers were a top four team in the West right now he could play. As for next season, “I personally think you’re going to see the Kobe you’re used to seeing.”
• Barack Obama and his lefty shot come up — you can see that part of the interview broken out below.
- Hobbled Chris Paul, Clippers’ role players do just enough to dethrone Spurs in Game 7 1
- Chris Paul banks in game winner to lift Clippers past Spurs (VIDEO) 20
- PBT Extra: Can Clippers build on Game 6 win? 2
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Derrick Rose got it done on both ends in first round 2
- Hawks eliminate Nets from playoffs with blowout victory in Game 6 9
- PBT Extra: Clash of styles favors Warriors over Grizzlies 4
- PBT Second-Round Playoff Previews: Golden State Warriors vs. Memphis Grizzlies 3
- PBT Extra: Bulls have shot to upset Cavaliers 16