Mar 19, 2014, 2:53 PM EST
Kobe Bryant was on the Dan Patrick Show on Wednesday morning talking all things Lakers — the future of the franchise, Phil Jackson, Mike D’Antoni, and if Barack Obama could make the current roster. The full interview is above but here are the highlights:
• Kobe said he had breakfast last week with Phil Jackson and was told he was going to take the Knicks job, and not surprisingly Kobe expects Phil to do well.
• Dan Patrick (like some Lakers fans) are still hung up on Jim Buss not hiring Jackson to replace Mike Brown last year. Kobe tried to explain how Buss wants to put his own stamp on this team.
• On D’Antoni and if he should return: “I don’t know. It’s been tough on him. He’s been dealing with so many injuries. I don’t know if he’s gotten a fair shake.” Sounds like Kobe understands D’Antoni was never given a roster to fit his system, but that doesn’t mean Kobe wants to play in that system next season.
• Kobe says if the Lakers were a top four team in the West right now he could play. As for next season, “I personally think you’re going to see the Kobe you’re used to seeing.”
• Barack Obama and his lefty shot come up — you can see that part of the interview broken out below.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 11
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 5
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 33
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 51
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 42
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28