Knicks head coach Mike Woodson: ‘I know I can teach the Triangle offense’

Mar 19, 2014, 9:17 PM EST

New York Knicks v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

NEW YORK – With Phil Jackson now firmly in place as president of basketball operations with the Knicks, many believe he will want to install the Triangle offense next season, which leads to speculation that he will be bringing in coaches to teach it who have had previous experience running it under Jackson’s watch.

Mike Woodson is the current head coach of the Knicks, and just as many believe his job status will change as soon as the season is finished.

But despite lacking that specific skill set on his resume, he lobbied a bit for the opportunity next year as he spoke to reporters before Wednesday’s contest against the Pacers — just in case his new boss might have been listening.

“Could I teach it? Absolutely I can teach it,” Woodson said. “But it’d be even better if he helped me teach it. That would be great. Who would be better in teaching the Triangle than Phil Jackson? So if that might be the case and I get that opportunity, sure. I know I can teach the Triangle offense. It’s basketball. It’s what we do.”

Outside the visitor’s locker room, Pacers head coach Frank Vogel explained that while he didn’t know why there aren’t teams that run the offense exclusively at the NBA level anymore, many of its principles are staples of offenses used by just about everyone.

“Obviously Phil perfected it,” Vogel said. “There have been some people who have tried it and failed. I’ve had extensive conversations with [former Pacers assistant and current Nuggets head coach] Brian Shaw the last couple of years. Even though every team doesn’t have ‘the’ Triangle offense, there are Triangle concepts in every team’s offense — the spacing, the cutting, the pinch post stuff.

“It’s a big part of our offensive practice, we just don’t call it the Triangle,” Vogel said. “It’s not the Triangle, but there are so many Triangle concepts that are present in every team’s offense.”

On the surface, Woodson is not wrong. It’s just highly unlikely he gets that chance.

1. dyn0myte - Mar 19, 2014 at 9:44 PM

When asked, “Can you teach the triangle offense?”

I was fully expecting Mike Woodson to say, “No way in H E double hockey sticks”.

2. dannymac17 - Mar 19, 2014 at 10:00 PM

lol Its one thing to know it, its another to teach it.

3. 00maltliquor - Mar 19, 2014 at 10:14 PM

“I can do what you want me to do. I can change! I can be the man you want me to be baby!”

4. culppeper - Mar 19, 2014 at 10:50 PM

what a moron.

5. sportsnut101 - Mar 19, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Well if has to help coach it then he might as well fire u dumbass
    Soulds like woodson begging to nw kept dude u will get paid either way
    U are avg coach with great knowledge but thats it

6. m3dman3 - Mar 19, 2014 at 11:18 PM

I hope Steve Kerr turns out to be a great coach. Congrats to Steve for being the next Knicks head coach!

7. eugenesaxe1 - Mar 19, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Yeah, I’m sure Phil wants to help you teach. That’s why he turned down coaching offers.

8. sportsfan18 - Mar 20, 2014 at 12:42 AM

Begging is quite unbecoming Woody…

At least do NOT do it in public, in front of a scribe…

Now if you and Phil had a chance to talk quietly about it, that would be a whole other thing…

9. campcouch - Mar 20, 2014 at 4:23 AM

I hope he finds a better place to coach because the job isn’t safe in NY for anyone. Dudes don’t last longer than 4 years at the most there. Good luck Steve Kerr lol

10. nykfanwakemeupin2015 - Mar 20, 2014 at 4:40 AM

Wow has a head coach been anymore desperate?

11. cantonbound13 - Mar 20, 2014 at 8:03 AM

Thanks but no thanks.

12. TheMorningStar - Mar 20, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Watching the new coaching staff, Phil Jackson, whomever trying to teach Carmelo the nuances of the ‘triangle’ offense will be hilarious indeed. Good luck with that Knick fans.

Meanwhile, 200 miles to the north, Danny Anige quietly is building a soon to be perennial Eastern Conference championship contender….

• cruzan80 - Mar 20, 2014 at 1:36 PM

“Danny Anige quietly is building a soon to be perennial Eastern Conference championship contender”

That literally made me LOL…..

• TheMorningStar - Mar 20, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Why? The Celtics are most certainly in a better position to rebuild quickly (nine 1st rd picks) than the cap adled, minimal draft picking, hapless NY Knicks.

Keep laughing…at the pathtic Knickerbockers.

13. phillycannon - Mar 20, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Why ask Phil when Tex is the creator of it. Plus in the triangle, you need a good guard and center. Knicks have neither

• ProBasketballPundit - Mar 20, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Because Tex Winter is 92 years old?

14. ranfan12 - Mar 20, 2014 at 5:03 PM

And knowing is half the battle! Still getting the axe though lol

15. culppeper - Mar 20, 2014 at 11:38 PM

This is an insult to the zen master himself! running a version of the triangle somewhere is one thing. this is not an easy offense to run and succeed. if that were the case phils assistants would be paid millions right now to win championships…. this mike woodson is an absolute joke!

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches