Mar 19, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
The last summer Derrick Rose played for Team USA, he won a gold medal and then, in the ensuing NBA season, became the youngest MVP of all-time.
Nope, says Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau, who also serves as a Team USA assistant.
Chicago head coach and Team USA assistant Tom Thibodeau said that he “absolutely” would want Rose to play Team USA this summer in preparation for the FIBA Basketball World Cup in Spain from Aug. 30-Sept. 14.
“I thought it was a great experience for him before,” Thibodeau said. “I know he’d like to do it. I know how USA basketball feels about him. If he’s cleared to do it, I’d love to see him do it.”
“He’s doing fine,” Thibodeau said. “He’s doing a little more but he’s nowhere close to practicing. At this point, maybe he’ll go get a couple of practices at the end but we just want him to lock into rehab and make sure he’s 100 percent healthy.
“There’s a plan for him. It’s going to be step by step. When he masters one phase and we feel like it’s good enough, we’ll move onto the next. He’s moving along pretty much as planned, so we’ll see where he is in the summer.”
First, obviously, Rose must heal from his latest injury. But it’s interesting Thibodeau endorses Rose risking his health while playing for a team other than the Bulls. Not every NBA coach would feel the same way about his player.
Perhaps, Thibodeau’s logic is colored by Rose’s difficulty acclimating from his previous injury. After missing the entire 2012-13 season, Rose was extremely rough around the edges in the 10 games he played this season. He shot just 35.4 percent from the field and averaged 4.3 assists along with 3.4 turnovers per game. Maybe warming up with Team USA this summer would help Rose have a better fall this time around.
The Bulls can’t expect Rose to return in MVP form like in 2010, but if Team USA helps him play like a high-end start when next season begins, that would be a big victory for Chicago.
- Paul George tweets: “I’ll be ok and be back better than ever” 0
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 74
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49