Mar 19, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
At the end of the game, Cavs owner Dan Gilbert expressed his dissatisfaction with… something.
Gilbert not finishing what he started? Consider me shocked.
“I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THE SELF-TITLED FORMER ‘KING’ WINS ONE”
You can take it to the bank.
Oh, where was I?
Right, last night’s game. If it’s unclear what Gilbert meant, his next tweet provides a strong clue.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $110,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $12,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
First of all, I’m never a fan of simply citing free-throw and foul stats without context – as if those should be equal. Some teams deserve more calls than others.
To start, because the Cavaliers trailed late, they thrice fouled the Heat. Remove those, and the disparities – 6-3 on free throws, 6-2 on fouls – no longer seem so egregious.
But that’s still not enough context. The Heat are more talented and more athletic than the Cavaliers, a combination that typically does and should lead to drawing more fouls.
In addition to a correctly called Tyler Zeller moving screen, here are the circumstances that led to Cleveland’s five other fouls:
- Chris Bosh caught a pass wide open in the mid-range and got a full head of steam heading toward the basket
- Norris Cole was on the verge of breaking ahead in the open court
- Chris Andersen caught a pass right at the rim
- LeBron caught a pass through traffic while cutting full speed toward the basket
- LeBron drove by Alonzo Gee, who was caught flat-footed
Want to avoid getting called for so many fouls? Defend better. The Cavaliers were whistled so often because they put themselves in poor position to defend without fouling.
Of course, it’s not just the called fouls that swing games. It’s the uncalled fouls, too. In that regard, Gilbert has at least one legitimate gripe:
Gilbert being right, though, won’t prevent the league office from looking into these complaints. Maybe Gilbert can claim the first tweet referenced something else and the second tweet just stated facts, but it’s going to be an uphill battle to avoid a fine from Adam Silver.
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 8
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 18
- FIBA World Cup USA vs. Serbia preview: Serbia no pushover but Americans should grab gold 4
- France beats Lithuania to win World Cup bronze 6
- Carmelo Anthony says nobody would want to play for Hawks 20
- Rudy Gay upset over ‘dirty play’ that caused him to suffer a fractured jaw in Team USA’s win over Lithuania 17
- Serbia holds off furious French comeback, wins to advance to gold medal game vs. USA 4
- Hawks GM Danny Ferry releases statement on his leave of absence, apologizes again 6