Mar 19, 2014, 5:48 PM EDT
When Larry Sanders had to get surgery for a broken eye socket just more than a month ago it was hard to see how he would return to the Bucks’ rotation this summer — what exactly is the point of racing him back to the court for the tea with the worst record in the NBA?
Sanders made it official he would not be back this season, speaking with Charles F. Gardner of the Journal Sentinel.
Sanders, traveling with the Bucks on their current four-game western trip, confirmed he would not return this season in a locker-room interview. But he said he is progressing well following surgery to repair right orbital fractures suffered in a fluky play against Houston on Feb. 8. Sanders went up for a rebound and was elbowed by Houston guard James Harden.
Sanders came into the season having just signed a four-year, $44 million contract to be one of the rebuilding anchors in Milwaukee, and instead he was a mess. Sanders shooting percentage fell to 46.9 percent (from 50.6), he wasn’t grabbing the same percentage of rebounds and his defense was not up to the standards he had shown the year before. His minutes dropped and he was frustrated with coach Larry Drew. Then Sanders had to miss time for thumb surgery from an injury suffered in a bar fight.
Milwaukee still has Sanders, plus promising prospects John Henson and Giannis Antetokounmpo — that could be an interesting front line if a few years. This season that lineup has played just 21 minutes together, hopefully next season they can all be healthy and get some good run as a group. Then the Bucks become far more interesting.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 19
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28