Mar 18, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
And when that evaluation happens surgery remains an option.
Irving spoke with the media about his injury, suffered Saturday against the Clippers as he tried to strip the ball from Blake Griffin’s hands. He said he is not feeling much pain but also can’t lift anything with his left arm. Which would make playing basketball difficult.
He also said surgery was not likely but not off the table, reports the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
An MRI on Monday confirmed the strain, and the injury will be reevaluated in two weeks, during which time Irving will miss eight games. Asked if surgery was still a possibility, Irving said, “We’ll see in two weeks. I’m not going to give a definitive answer because I don’t know that answer. Like I said, at this point, I’m just going to continue to support my teammates and be on the sideline. Whatever the medical team needs me to do and whatever’s in my best interests, I’m going to do.”
What is in his best interest — and the best interest of the Cavaliers at this point — is to shut him down for the season.
When Irving is re-evaluated there will be seven games left in the season. The Cavaliers are out of the playoff running at this point and instead should just let the losses come — as of right now they would draft ninth come June. If they more up the draft board a little, if they get more ping-pong balls in the lottery hopper, all the better.
Then this summer offer Irving a max contract extension and keep him on the roster as long as they can.
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 60
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89