Mar 18, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
And when that evaluation happens surgery remains an option.
Irving spoke with the media about his injury, suffered Saturday against the Clippers as he tried to strip the ball from Blake Griffin’s hands. He said he is not feeling much pain but also can’t lift anything with his left arm. Which would make playing basketball difficult.
He also said surgery was not likely but not off the table, reports the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
An MRI on Monday confirmed the strain, and the injury will be reevaluated in two weeks, during which time Irving will miss eight games. Asked if surgery was still a possibility, Irving said, “We’ll see in two weeks. I’m not going to give a definitive answer because I don’t know that answer. Like I said, at this point, I’m just going to continue to support my teammates and be on the sideline. Whatever the medical team needs me to do and whatever’s in my best interests, I’m going to do.”
What is in his best interest — and the best interest of the Cavaliers at this point — is to shut him down for the season.
When Irving is re-evaluated there will be seven games left in the season. The Cavaliers are out of the playoff running at this point and instead should just let the losses come — as of right now they would draft ninth come June. If they more up the draft board a little, if they get more ping-pong balls in the lottery hopper, all the better.
Then this summer offer Irving a max contract extension and keep him on the roster as long as they can.
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 22
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49