Mar 18, 2014, 3:15 PM EST
And when that evaluation happens surgery remains an option.
Irving spoke with the media about his injury, suffered Saturday against the Clippers as he tried to strip the ball from Blake Griffin’s hands. He said he is not feeling much pain but also can’t lift anything with his left arm. Which would make playing basketball difficult.
He also said surgery was not likely but not off the table, reports the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
An MRI on Monday confirmed the strain, and the injury will be reevaluated in two weeks, during which time Irving will miss eight games. Asked if surgery was still a possibility, Irving said, “We’ll see in two weeks. I’m not going to give a definitive answer because I don’t know that answer. Like I said, at this point, I’m just going to continue to support my teammates and be on the sideline. Whatever the medical team needs me to do and whatever’s in my best interests, I’m going to do.”
What is in his best interest — and the best interest of the Cavaliers at this point — is to shut him down for the season.
When Irving is re-evaluated there will be seven games left in the season. The Cavaliers are out of the playoff running at this point and instead should just let the losses come — as of right now they would draft ninth come June. If they more up the draft board a little, if they get more ping-pong balls in the lottery hopper, all the better.
Then this summer offer Irving a max contract extension and keep him on the roster as long as they can.
- Three Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The All-Star Rosters need to be expanded 0
- One day after having surgery, Kobe Bryant came to see Pau Gasol 1
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 2
- The three biggest All-Star snubs in each conference 17
- James Harden, three Hawks players lead list of NBA All-Star Game reserves 11
- Report: OKC front office backs Scott Brooks, may look to trade Reggie Jackson 9
- Dwyane Wade out indefinitely, says best case for his return is 2-3 weeks 9
- Report: Tom Thibodeau’s relationship with Bulls management believed to be ‘beyond repair’ 42