Mar 18, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
And when that evaluation happens surgery remains an option.
Irving spoke with the media about his injury, suffered Saturday against the Clippers as he tried to strip the ball from Blake Griffin’s hands. He said he is not feeling much pain but also can’t lift anything with his left arm. Which would make playing basketball difficult.
He also said surgery was not likely but not off the table, reports the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
An MRI on Monday confirmed the strain, and the injury will be reevaluated in two weeks, during which time Irving will miss eight games. Asked if surgery was still a possibility, Irving said, “We’ll see in two weeks. I’m not going to give a definitive answer because I don’t know that answer. Like I said, at this point, I’m just going to continue to support my teammates and be on the sideline. Whatever the medical team needs me to do and whatever’s in my best interests, I’m going to do.”
What is in his best interest — and the best interest of the Cavaliers at this point — is to shut him down for the season.
When Irving is re-evaluated there will be seven games left in the season. The Cavaliers are out of the playoff running at this point and instead should just let the losses come — as of right now they would draft ninth come June. If they more up the draft board a little, if they get more ping-pong balls in the lottery hopper, all the better.
Then this summer offer Irving a max contract extension and keep him on the roster as long as they can.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 0
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 19
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 27
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 46
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 24
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 20
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 12