Metta World Peace: Knicks didn’t want me to lead

Mar 18, 2014, 10:45 AM EST

Mikwaukee Bucks v New York Knicks

Metta World took a buyout with the New York Knicks last month, hoping to sign with a contender.

He’s still eligible for a playoff roster – the date he gets waived, not signed, determines his eligibility – but, so far, no team has bitten.

Maybe that’s why World Peace giving his version of events in New York. I don’t expect it will undo the perception that, at 34, he might no longer produce at even a replacement level. But here goes, anyway.

Marc Berman of the New York Post:

World Peace had a player option for next season at $1.6 million and got about $250,000 of that figure in the buyout package, according to a source.

“I didn’t mind playing any role, but I didn’t see myself having a role, not even a leadership role,’’ World Peace said. “I was fine with being on the bench, but at times I wanted to help lead. But at times I tried to lead, it was met with resistance. I backed off a little and tried to blend in with the team. I tried to find where I could complement the players but I couldn’t find any room to complement.’’

Sometimes, World Peace says outlandish things. Whether he sincerely believes everything he says or is just seeking attention, that’s not necessarily a voice you want leading your locker room.

The Knicks have a roster mostly full of veterans, players who’d know better than to heed any misguided advice offered by World Peace. But New York still has a couple talented young players, particularly Tim Hardaway Jr. and Iman Shumpert, who are still young and impressionable.

There’s little reason to risk keeping World Peace when he’s not producing.

Especially when he’s willing to give back money.

In addition to his player option for next season (actual amount: $1,661,550), World Peace was owed about $467,647  for the rest of this season. It’s not clear whether that $250,000 is the total World Peace received in his buyout or the amount agreed to based on negotiations in relation to next season only.

Either way, though, World Peace came out behind.

1. glenuendo - Mar 18, 2014 at 10:52 AM

I have a feeling that Metta may have a hard time transitioning into life without Basketball. I just hope his transition is better than Dennis Rodman.

2. sprest83 - Mar 18, 2014 at 11:01 AM

He is the last person I would follow on the Knicks roster.

• adoombray - Mar 18, 2014 at 11:18 AM

He was the only winner on that roster except for Chandler. This “he sometimes says outlandish things so that automatically makes him not a leader” stuff is nonsense. MWP, for all his faults, was a guy teammates would run through brick walls for because of his passion. His occasional playing with the media means nothing on the court or in a locker room. NYK was built with a losing shoot first ball stopping hybrid 3/4 which are a dime a dozen these days.

Read between the lines. “I tried to help, but it’s all Melo’s people there, and Melo is not a winner”.

3. 00maltliquor - Mar 18, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Somebody please give Peace a chance.

• jimeejohnson - Mar 18, 2014 at 11:21 AM

That’s all we are saying.

• jimeejohnson - Mar 18, 2014 at 6:05 PM

I appreciate all the thumbs up on this one. But I defer to the author of those words, none other than John Lennon. Imagine all the people, living life in peace.

• rodyaugu - Mar 18, 2014 at 11:31 AM

No chance for World Peace

4. shanelsweet - Mar 18, 2014 at 11:26 AM

If you click on the link provided and actually read the report by Berman, it’s pretty clear (not crystal though) that MWP was talking about Woodson telling him to tone it down. Basically, when a coach puts you on the bench and tells you to “tone it down”, then it’s time to go was his point. As I recall from previous reports when he was with the Lakers, most players like playing with MWP and value his leadership. This sounds to me to be just another Woodson created issue. I can see why Woodson wouldn’t want anybody else leading the Knicks from the bench when he’s having trouble doing it. Might make him look even worse.

• nykfanwakemeupin2015 - Mar 18, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Woodson has no business coaching. JR Smith played well last year and won 6th man. He always had it in but Woodson took the credit with his tough love approach which was coincidental timing. He ruined Shumpert but heopfully that is repairable…..

• jimeejohnson - Mar 18, 2014 at 6:07 PM

If you are right, then the new Knicks’ President will can Woodson sooner than later.

5. eugenesaxe1 - Mar 18, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Dude got cut from the Knicks. The KNICKS. He’s got nothing to offer anywhere, in any form.

• cmehustle - Mar 18, 2014 at 7:23 PM

I love that comment!

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches