Mark Cuban chides Dirk Nowitzki for napping through games

Mar 18, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT

David Lee, Dirk Nowitzki

Dirk Nowitzki had 12 points and six rebounds in the Dallas Mavericks’ 23-point loss to the Warriors on Thursday, Dallas’ second-largest margin of defeat this season. After a strong game against the lowly Jazz, he had just four rebounds in a 23-point win over the Thunder.

Neither performance satisfied Mavericks owner Mark Cuban.

Cuban, via Dwain Price of the Star-Telegram:

“I think sometimes he loses concentration, and I think we’ve got to get past that,” Cuban said. “I mentioned it to him today. I asked him how his nap was during the game [Sunday at Oklahoma City]. He laughed. At least that’s while I was facing him. When I turned my back and walked away, I don’t know.”

“Dirk always goes through a little slump during the year where he needs to remotivate. And I think we’ve seen that for a couple of games, and I think he’s going to come back stronger, particularly after three days and those naps he’s gotten through the last couple of games.”

Honestly, I’m shocked to see Cuban admonish Nowitzki so strongly publicly. Cuban is usually highly praiseworthy of his star player.

And even if Nowitzki slipped for a few games, cut him a break.

At 35, he’s having renaissance season. His PER (23.9) is his highest in seven years. Nobody as old as his him is playing as much as he does (32.2 minutes per game). All in all, nobody is doing more to keep Dallas in playoff position.

Cuban spoke before the Mavericks beat the Celtics on Monday, when Nowitzki had 19 points on 6-of-17 shooting and six rebounds. No word on whether that satisfied the owner.

For his part, Nowitzki accepted responsibility when asked about Cuban’s comments. Maybe that’s because he knew, even before helping his team beat Boston, he’s earned a grace period.

Cuban:

“I’m allowed to call him out once every 10 years,” Cuban said.

Latest Posts
  1. Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner

Apr 25, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT

Milwaukee Bucks v Boston Celtics Getty Images

Milwaukee forced 26 Chicago turnovers, a season high.

2. Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets

Apr 25, 2015, 2:29 PM EDT

Sean Corbin, Rick Carlisle Sean Corbin, Rick Carlisle

“The officials [have] got to get that stuff under control, because there’s too much physical stuff going on. Howard is throwing people all over the place,” Carlisle said.

3. Kawhi Leonard puts up 32 spot on Clippers (VIDEO)

Apr 25, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v San Antonio Spurs - Game Three Getty Images

The Spurs are Kawhi Leonard’s team now.

4. Arron Afflalo expected to play for Blazers in Game 3 vs. Grizzlies

Apr 24, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

Portland, down 0-2 to Memphis, needs all the help it can get.

5. NBA, 20 teams launch apps for Apple Watch

Apr 24, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT

celtics-cavs

NBA continues its technological push.

Stephen Curry starting to define playoff legacy
Top 10 NBA Player Searches