Mar 18, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT
Here’s the list of 2013-14 NBA MVP candidates:
That’s it. Nobody else is even close.
If you’re an NBA player, you can choose yourself for MVP. You’re entitled to that self-confidence. Otherwise, if you’re stumping for anyone other than Durant or LeBron, you’re doing it wrong.
And if you are an NBA player, as Blake Griffin shows, you don’t have to exercise that right to be irrational.
Do you feel you are at an MVP status based on your recent accomplishments and performances for the Clippers?
“Naw, I think the MVP race is a two-man race,” Griffin responded.
As I said, there’s nothing necessarily wrong with a player having delusional faith in himself. For many, that contributes to the drive that got them to the NBA.
But it’s sort of refreshing to see a player give such a realistic take.
Griffin, who’s averaging 24.3 points and 9.7 rebounds per game and ranks fourth in the NBA in win shares (10.7), is a legitimate candidate for third-place MVP votes. But that’s the only interesting (to me, at least) MVP discussion Griffin belongs in.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 6
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10