Mar 18, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT
Here’s the list of 2013-14 NBA MVP candidates:
That’s it. Nobody else is even close.
If you’re an NBA player, you can choose yourself for MVP. You’re entitled to that self-confidence. Otherwise, if you’re stumping for anyone other than Durant or LeBron, you’re doing it wrong.
And if you are an NBA player, as Blake Griffin shows, you don’t have to exercise that right to be irrational.
Do you feel you are at an MVP status based on your recent accomplishments and performances for the Clippers?
“Naw, I think the MVP race is a two-man race,” Griffin responded.
As I said, there’s nothing necessarily wrong with a player having delusional faith in himself. For many, that contributes to the drive that got them to the NBA.
But it’s sort of refreshing to see a player give such a realistic take.
Griffin, who’s averaging 24.3 points and 9.7 rebounds per game and ranks fourth in the NBA in win shares (10.7), is a legitimate candidate for third-place MVP votes. But that’s the only interesting (to me, at least) MVP discussion Griffin belongs in.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 25
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 30
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23