Mar 18, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT
Here’s the list of 2013-14 NBA MVP candidates:
That’s it. Nobody else is even close.
If you’re an NBA player, you can choose yourself for MVP. You’re entitled to that self-confidence. Otherwise, if you’re stumping for anyone other than Durant or LeBron, you’re doing it wrong.
And if you are an NBA player, as Blake Griffin shows, you don’t have to exercise that right to be irrational.
Do you feel you are at an MVP status based on your recent accomplishments and performances for the Clippers?
“Naw, I think the MVP race is a two-man race,” Griffin responded.
As I said, there’s nothing necessarily wrong with a player having delusional faith in himself. For many, that contributes to the drive that got them to the NBA.
But it’s sort of refreshing to see a player give such a realistic take.
Griffin, who’s averaging 24.3 points and 9.7 rebounds per game and ranks fourth in the NBA in win shares (10.7), is a legitimate candidate for third-place MVP votes. But that’s the only interesting (to me, at least) MVP discussion Griffin belongs in.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 22
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 26
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4