Mar 18, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT
Here’s the list of 2013-14 NBA MVP candidates:
That’s it. Nobody else is even close.
If you’re an NBA player, you can choose yourself for MVP. You’re entitled to that self-confidence. Otherwise, if you’re stumping for anyone other than Durant or LeBron, you’re doing it wrong.
And if you are an NBA player, as Blake Griffin shows, you don’t have to exercise that right to be irrational.
Do you feel you are at an MVP status based on your recent accomplishments and performances for the Clippers?
“Naw, I think the MVP race is a two-man race,” Griffin responded.
As I said, there’s nothing necessarily wrong with a player having delusional faith in himself. For many, that contributes to the drive that got them to the NBA.
But it’s sort of refreshing to see a player give such a realistic take.
Griffin, who’s averaging 24.3 points and 9.7 rebounds per game and ranks fourth in the NBA in win shares (10.7), is a legitimate candidate for third-place MVP votes. But that’s the only interesting (to me, at least) MVP discussion Griffin belongs in.
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 22
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 62
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 71
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 42
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8