Mar 18, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT
Here’s the list of 2013-14 NBA MVP candidates:
That’s it. Nobody else is even close.
If you’re an NBA player, you can choose yourself for MVP. You’re entitled to that self-confidence. Otherwise, if you’re stumping for anyone other than Durant or LeBron, you’re doing it wrong.
And if you are an NBA player, as Blake Griffin shows, you don’t have to exercise that right to be irrational.
Do you feel you are at an MVP status based on your recent accomplishments and performances for the Clippers?
“Naw, I think the MVP race is a two-man race,” Griffin responded.
As I said, there’s nothing necessarily wrong with a player having delusional faith in himself. For many, that contributes to the drive that got them to the NBA.
But it’s sort of refreshing to see a player give such a realistic take.
Griffin, who’s averaging 24.3 points and 9.7 rebounds per game and ranks fourth in the NBA in win shares (10.7), is a legitimate candidate for third-place MVP votes. But that’s the only interesting (to me, at least) MVP discussion Griffin belongs in.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 16
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 26
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 29
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30