Mar 18, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
Well, this is not good.
We told you Andrew Bynum was out Monday night for the Pacers (a win over Philadelphia), but now he will be out at least Wednesday (at the Knicks) and maybe longer, reports Scott Agness of Pacers.com. Bynum had swelling after playing 20 minutes Sunday against Detroit… and we’re not just talking a little swelling either.
“This one is a little concerning for me because it caused a lot more fluid,” he said. “I haven’t had that much fluid in there since like the (2010) Boston Finals in L.A.”
This is why the Pacers players and organization have had a “whatever we get from Bynum we get” attitude. They were contenders with Ian Mahinmi playing the backup minutes behind Roy Hibbert and that is not changing. If Bynum could be an upgrade off the bench, great. If not, well at least he’s not playing for the Heat. Right Frank Vogel?
“[It's] not really disappointing at all, to be honest,” he said. “We knew he was going to be in and out of the lineup. He’s got some problems with his knees, we’re well aware of that, and we’ll be excited with what he can give us when he’s in there.”
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $60,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,500. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Bynum scored 15 points and had 8 rebounds in those 20 mites against Detroit (and its big front line). Offensively his skill and touch make Bynum a considerable upgrade over Mahinmi. However, Bynum was slow on defense, both in terms of movement and recognizing his responsibility and rotations.
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 2
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 12
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 20
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 5
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 18
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 34