Mar 18, 2014, 5:15 PM EST
Well, this is not good.
We told you Andrew Bynum was out Monday night for the Pacers (a win over Philadelphia), but now he will be out at least Wednesday (at the Knicks) and maybe longer, reports Scott Agness of Pacers.com. Bynum had swelling after playing 20 minutes Sunday against Detroit… and we’re not just talking a little swelling either.
“This one is a little concerning for me because it caused a lot more fluid,” he said. “I haven’t had that much fluid in there since like the (2010) Boston Finals in L.A.”
This is why the Pacers players and organization have had a “whatever we get from Bynum we get” attitude. They were contenders with Ian Mahinmi playing the backup minutes behind Roy Hibbert and that is not changing. If Bynum could be an upgrade off the bench, great. If not, well at least he’s not playing for the Heat. Right Frank Vogel?
“[It's] not really disappointing at all, to be honest,” he said. “We knew he was going to be in and out of the lineup. He’s got some problems with his knees, we’re well aware of that, and we’ll be excited with what he can give us when he’s in there.”
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $60,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $8,500. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Bynum scored 15 points and had 8 rebounds in those 20 mites against Detroit (and its big front line). Offensively his skill and touch make Bynum a considerable upgrade over Mahinmi. However, Bynum was slow on defense, both in terms of movement and recognizing his responsibility and rotations.
- Damian Lillard, as stature grows, refuses to become content 0
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You may want to try and cover Marc Gasol 6
- Jimmy Butler on Derrick Rose: “We want him to be 100 percent” for the playoffs 11
- Report: Free agent market for Jeff Green is as strong ‘if not stronger’ than it is for Rajon Rondo 19
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 54
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11