Mar 17, 2014, 2:33 PM EST
Tuesday Phil Jackson will be introduced as the President of Basketball Operations — the Big Kahuna — of New York Knicks basketball. Likely his first big move to alter the organization will come at the end of the season when Mike Woodson is let go as coach.
People around the league think Steve Kerr is at the front of the line for that job.
Kerr was on the Dan Patrick Show (which you can watch every morning on the NBC Sports Network) and Dan asked him about the rumors, which Kerr admitted was awkward.
“It’s very awkward because it is just speculation. More than anything, you’re talking about somebody else’s job.”
Other highlights of the conversation.
• Kerr said he and Jackson have kept in regular communication over the years.
• On coaching in general: “I’ve been talking about it the last couple years. I left Phoenix when I was the general manager knowing I didn’t want to get back into management but feeling like coaching would be a possibility at some point. I love being on the floor with the players and as a GM I was like there one percent of the time. I love the game.”
• He said he would prefer a West Coast coaching job but sounded like he would listen to a Jackson pitch.
• Kerr said this job is a natural evolution for Jackson, who did more assessing of talent than people think: “He worked pretty closely with Jerry Krause, despite their differences at the end, evaluating together because they knew they had to fit players into his style of play. This is just the natural evolution for Phil.”
Jan 26, 2015, 2:38 PM EST
It’s Hawks and Warriors and everyone else. Just as its been for a while now.
Jan 26, 2015, 2:04 PM EST
After Washington pushed out Jordan, Kobe re-signed with Lakers
Jan 26, 2015, 1:28 PM EST
Portland must return to East Coast for single game
Jan 26, 2015, 11:47 AM EST
Lakers coach asked Young about his defense. ‘The answer he gave me, I couldn’t figure it out.’
Jan 26, 2015, 11:44 AM EST
Gasols, Pau of the Bulls and Marc of the Grizzlies, become first brothers to start an NBA All-Star game
Jan 26, 2015, 11:09 AM EST
With the storm bearing down on the Northeast, this is the right move by the league.
Jan 26, 2015, 10:20 AM EST
Jan 26, 2015, 9:46 AM EST
Wall splits two Nuggets defenders with expertly placed pass
Jan 26, 2015, 9:09 AM EST
Wizards do their best to blow five-point lead in final five seconds
Jan 26, 2015, 8:30 AM EST
Was it good defense or just that the Lakers were that bad?
Jan 26, 2015, 8:00 AM EST
When he gets healthy and back the guys in front of him on the depth chart will be healthy as well.
Jan 26, 2015, 1:16 AM EST
Could the Pelicans make the playoffs?
Jan 26, 2015, 12:36 AM EST
It’s not a rumor, Curry can dunk, too.
Lakers’ rookies get to take care of baby dolls for rest of season. May be more interesting than Lakers’ games.
Jan 25, 2015, 10:29 PM EST
This kind of hazing happens all over the league.
Jan 25, 2015, 9:04 PM EST
The Nets and Hornets talked but did not pull the trigger on a Brook Lopez trade recently.
Jan 25, 2015, 8:30 PM EST
Aldridge is attempting to play through a thumb tear.
Jan 25, 2015, 7:00 PM EST
In only 24 minutes.
Jan 25, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
Deng played his first game in Chicago as a member of a visiting team on Sunday.
Jan 25, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
Dragic can opt out this summer.
Jan 25, 2015, 2:44 PM EST
He would be back for training camp next season.
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 0
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 1
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 0
- Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm 4
- Did win over Lakers break Rockets out of their defensive slump? 8
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 24
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 9
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 33