Mar 17, 2014, 2:33 PM EDT
Tuesday Phil Jackson will be introduced as the President of Basketball Operations — the Big Kahuna — of New York Knicks basketball. Likely his first big move to alter the organization will come at the end of the season when Mike Woodson is let go as coach.
People around the league think Steve Kerr is at the front of the line for that job.
Kerr was on the Dan Patrick Show (which you can watch every morning on the NBC Sports Network) and Dan asked him about the rumors, which Kerr admitted was awkward.
“It’s very awkward because it is just speculation. More than anything, you’re talking about somebody else’s job.”
Other highlights of the conversation.
• Kerr said he and Jackson have kept in regular communication over the years.
• On coaching in general: “I’ve been talking about it the last couple years. I left Phoenix when I was the general manager knowing I didn’t want to get back into management but feeling like coaching would be a possibility at some point. I love being on the floor with the players and as a GM I was like there one percent of the time. I love the game.”
• He said he would prefer a West Coast coaching job but sounded like he would listen to a Jackson pitch.
• Kerr said this job is a natural evolution for Jackson, who did more assessing of talent than people think: “He worked pretty closely with Jerry Krause, despite their differences at the end, evaluating together because they knew they had to fit players into his style of play. This is just the natural evolution for Phil.”
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 12
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 9
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 59
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 65
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 41
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8