Mar 17, 2014, 2:33 PM EDT
Tuesday Phil Jackson will be introduced as the President of Basketball Operations — the Big Kahuna — of New York Knicks basketball. Likely his first big move to alter the organization will come at the end of the season when Mike Woodson is let go as coach.
People around the league think Steve Kerr is at the front of the line for that job.
Kerr was on the Dan Patrick Show (which you can watch every morning on the NBC Sports Network) and Dan asked him about the rumors, which Kerr admitted was awkward.
“It’s very awkward because it is just speculation. More than anything, you’re talking about somebody else’s job.”
Other highlights of the conversation.
• Kerr said he and Jackson have kept in regular communication over the years.
• On coaching in general: “I’ve been talking about it the last couple years. I left Phoenix when I was the general manager knowing I didn’t want to get back into management but feeling like coaching would be a possibility at some point. I love being on the floor with the players and as a GM I was like there one percent of the time. I love the game.”
• He said he would prefer a West Coast coaching job but sounded like he would listen to a Jackson pitch.
• Kerr said this job is a natural evolution for Jackson, who did more assessing of talent than people think: “He worked pretty closely with Jerry Krause, despite their differences at the end, evaluating together because they knew they had to fit players into his style of play. This is just the natural evolution for Phil.”
- PBT Extra: Grizzlies searching for answers, Mike Conley in Game 2 1
- PBT Extra: Hawks need to lean on starters more, hit open looks in Game 2 0
- CP3 who? Clippers come from behind to take Game 1 from Rockets on road. 22
- Bulls ride hot start, strong shooting night to Game 1 win in Cleveland 24
- Chris Paul out for Game 1 of Clippers-Rockets series 1
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry is the MVP for a modern NBA 13
- PBT Second-Round Playoff Previews: Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Chicago Bulls 6
- PBT Extra: Can Jimmy Butler have success slowing LeBron James? 5