Mar 17, 2014, 2:33 PM EST
Tuesday Phil Jackson will be introduced as the President of Basketball Operations — the Big Kahuna — of New York Knicks basketball. Likely his first big move to alter the organization will come at the end of the season when Mike Woodson is let go as coach.
People around the league think Steve Kerr is at the front of the line for that job.
Kerr was on the Dan Patrick Show (which you can watch every morning on the NBC Sports Network) and Dan asked him about the rumors, which Kerr admitted was awkward.
“It’s very awkward because it is just speculation. More than anything, you’re talking about somebody else’s job.”
Other highlights of the conversation.
• Kerr said he and Jackson have kept in regular communication over the years.
• On coaching in general: “I’ve been talking about it the last couple years. I left Phoenix when I was the general manager knowing I didn’t want to get back into management but feeling like coaching would be a possibility at some point. I love being on the floor with the players and as a GM I was like there one percent of the time. I love the game.”
• He said he would prefer a West Coast coaching job but sounded like he would listen to a Jackson pitch.
• Kerr said this job is a natural evolution for Jackson, who did more assessing of talent than people think: “He worked pretty closely with Jerry Krause, despite their differences at the end, evaluating together because they knew they had to fit players into his style of play. This is just the natural evolution for Phil.”
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 19
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6