Mar 17, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
Kevin Garnett has missed the last eight games for the Nets due to back spasms, but Brooklyn has done just fine in his absence, winning six of those contests to remain in the playoff picture in the East.
Jason Kidd had maintained the whole time that Garnett was day-to-day, and even that his condition had been improving.
But before Monday night’s game against the Suns, Kidd announced that Garnett would be out for another week pending a re-evaluation that will take place on Saturday.
the 37-year-old center has been ruled out for the rest of the week because of the back spasms that Jason Kidd finally revealed Monday is more than just a day-to-day ailment.
“I was tired of you guys asking me. So I held him back for another week,” Kidd joked. “Yeah, I was tired of answering questions, but I just thought we could hold him out until Saturday and re-evaluate him before (a three-game road trip at Dallas, New Orleans and Charlotte).” …
As recently as Saturday, Kidd said Garnett was feeling “a lot better” and was “questionable” for Monday’s game. Then after some pressure from the media, Kidd said Garnett wasn’t returning for at least three more games.
Rookie Mason Plumlee has started in Garnett’s absence, and has averaged six points and 4.9 rebounds in 19.5 minutes per contest over his last nine games. Those numbers aren’t dramatically different than Garnett’s season averages of 6.7 points and 6.7 rebounds in similar minutes, but that’s not where his impact has been made.
Garnett’s production has declined, but he remains as active and aggressive as ever on the defensive end of the floor. That’s where his skill set will be missed the most if his back issues end up continuing to cause him to miss time into the postseason.
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 4
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 19
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 12
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 31
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 10
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 25