Terrence Ross still has to take out the trash when he visits his mom’s house

Mar 14, 2014, 12:00 PM EST

Boston Celtics v Toronto Raptors

Terrence Ross has won a Dunk Contest. He scored 51 points in a game. He starts for the Eastern Conference’s third-best team.

But he still has to take out the trash when he goes to his mom’s house.

Raptors.com interviewed Ross with his mom, Marcine Ross, when Toronto played in his hometown of Portland last month. About 25:30 into this video, she talks about balancing caring for him and instilling discipline. It’s clear, though, she succeeded with the latter.

Marcine: “Even last night, when he came home, what’s the first thing he did when he walked in? What’s the first thing?”

Terrence: “I’m not even sure.”

Marcine: “When you first walked in.”

Terrence: “Oh, I took out the trash.”

Marcine: “He took out the trash.”

If you watch the clip, her tone and smile clearly says that’s an expectation, not a request.

1. calkinsrob - Mar 14, 2014 at 12:05 PM

cooomee oooonnn how is this news?

• calkinsrob - Mar 14, 2014 at 4:30 PM

I wonder if he has to make his bed too!!! I’m sorry guys I don’t get all the down-votes. Call all the phil jackson/carmelo anthony articles repetitive, at least they are about the game. Who doesn’t take the trash out for their family?

2. timb12 - Mar 14, 2014 at 12:56 PM

I enjoyed this article over the ones that are nothing but speculation. “Where will Carmelo go after his next contract expires in 2019? The pelicans are heard to be possible suitors given the right circumstances according to an unnamed source”

• calkinsrob - Mar 14, 2014 at 1:20 PM

I disagree. At least those articles are about whats happening in the NBA. Sure it gets annoying after youve read a few about his options and then there are still like 10 other articles basically quoting made-up sources, but at least its about the game and whats happening around the league

I dont mind articles about players past/families, sometimes they are real nice. But this one – who doesnt take out the trash for their mother I mean come on.

• timb12 - Mar 14, 2014 at 1:23 PM

That’s true. They are fine when they’re not done to death. But this is obviously a fluff piece, it was a nice change of pace from the overwhelming amount of speculation stuff and Dwight Howard/Lebron to Cleveland/Phil Jackson/Carmelo stuff.

3. sportsfan18 - Mar 14, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Think I’m going to have to start rooting for this kid…

Good job mom!

• calkinsrob - Mar 14, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Just because he takes out the trash. I do that are you rooting for me?

4. cruzan80 - Mar 14, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Slow day around the league today huh…..

5. rushbacker - Mar 14, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Damn right. You never get too rich to do some chores for mama!

6. gameisours - Mar 14, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Not enough sons do that.

7. canadatude - Mar 14, 2014 at 4:53 PM

A lot of stories about players are just trashy rumours. Good to see a player with his head screwed on right.
    Most of the NBA stars choose to forget about who got them where they are.

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches