Mar 14, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Royce White, the former first-round pick whose anxiety issues have kept him from playing in the NBA, is one step closer to making his NBA debut.
The Sacramento Kings signed White to a 10-day contract, immediately assigning him to the D-League. After posting 8.8 points on 37 percent shooting, 4.3 rebounds, 2.8 assists and 1.5 steals in 24.8 minutes per game with the Reno Bighorns, he’s getting a promotion.
The Sacramento Kings today recalled forward Royce White from the Kings D-League affiliate Reno Bighorns, according to Kings General Manager Pete D’Alessandro.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $90,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $10,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
This likely a sign the Kings plan to offer White a second 10-day contract. They have only one game – at the Bulls on Saturday – before his existing contract expires, and I doubt he’d meet them in Chicago (or Minnesota on Sunday for that matter).
More likely, he’ll join the Kings for their Tuesday contest against the Wizards in Sacramento. Possibly, he’ll wait a day to sign the second 10-day contract, so he can be with the team for its full four-game homestand.
If White gets on the court with the Kings, he’ll be the last first-round pick of the 2012 draft class to make his NBA debut and he’ll get off a list of the highest picks to never play in the NBA.
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 2
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 8
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 38
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3