Mar 14, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Royce White, the former first-round pick whose anxiety issues have kept him from playing in the NBA, is one step closer to making his NBA debut.
The Sacramento Kings signed White to a 10-day contract, immediately assigning him to the D-League. After posting 8.8 points on 37 percent shooting, 4.3 rebounds, 2.8 assists and 1.5 steals in 24.8 minutes per game with the Reno Bighorns, he’s getting a promotion.
The Sacramento Kings today recalled forward Royce White from the Kings D-League affiliate Reno Bighorns, according to Kings General Manager Pete D’Alessandro.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $90,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $10,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
This likely a sign the Kings plan to offer White a second 10-day contract. They have only one game – at the Bulls on Saturday – before his existing contract expires, and I doubt he’d meet them in Chicago (or Minnesota on Sunday for that matter).
More likely, he’ll join the Kings for their Tuesday contest against the Wizards in Sacramento. Possibly, he’ll wait a day to sign the second 10-day contract, so he can be with the team for its full four-game homestand.
If White gets on the court with the Kings, he’ll be the last first-round pick of the 2012 draft class to make his NBA debut and he’ll get off a list of the highest picks to never play in the NBA.
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 9
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 18
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 29
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 31
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 42
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24