Mar 14, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Royce White, the former first-round pick whose anxiety issues have kept him from playing in the NBA, is one step closer to making his NBA debut.
The Sacramento Kings signed White to a 10-day contract, immediately assigning him to the D-League. After posting 8.8 points on 37 percent shooting, 4.3 rebounds, 2.8 assists and 1.5 steals in 24.8 minutes per game with the Reno Bighorns, he’s getting a promotion.
The Sacramento Kings today recalled forward Royce White from the Kings D-League affiliate Reno Bighorns, according to Kings General Manager Pete D’Alessandro.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $90,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $10,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
This likely a sign the Kings plan to offer White a second 10-day contract. They have only one game – at the Bulls on Saturday – before his existing contract expires, and I doubt he’d meet them in Chicago (or Minnesota on Sunday for that matter).
More likely, he’ll join the Kings for their Tuesday contest against the Wizards in Sacramento. Possibly, he’ll wait a day to sign the second 10-day contract, so he can be with the team for its full four-game homestand.
If White gets on the court with the Kings, he’ll be the last first-round pick of the 2012 draft class to make his NBA debut and he’ll get off a list of the highest picks to never play in the NBA.
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 37
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 12
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 5