Mar 14, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Royce White, the former first-round pick whose anxiety issues have kept him from playing in the NBA, is one step closer to making his NBA debut.
The Sacramento Kings signed White to a 10-day contract, immediately assigning him to the D-League. After posting 8.8 points on 37 percent shooting, 4.3 rebounds, 2.8 assists and 1.5 steals in 24.8 minutes per game with the Reno Bighorns, he’s getting a promotion.
The Sacramento Kings today recalled forward Royce White from the Kings D-League affiliate Reno Bighorns, according to Kings General Manager Pete D’Alessandro.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $90,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $10,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
This likely a sign the Kings plan to offer White a second 10-day contract. They have only one game – at the Bulls on Saturday – before his existing contract expires, and I doubt he’d meet them in Chicago (or Minnesota on Sunday for that matter).
More likely, he’ll join the Kings for their Tuesday contest against the Wizards in Sacramento. Possibly, he’ll wait a day to sign the second 10-day contract, so he can be with the team for its full four-game homestand.
If White gets on the court with the Kings, he’ll be the last first-round pick of the 2012 draft class to make his NBA debut and he’ll get off a list of the highest picks to never play in the NBA.
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 40
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 17
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 34
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 14
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 22
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 25
- Cavaliers, with LeBron James and Kevin Love, favored by oddsmakers to win 2015 NBA title 29
- Scout says Carmelo Anthony can be good triangle fit — if he moves the ball 20