Mar 14, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
In ESPN’s Fab Five documentary, Jalen Rose discussed how he felt about Duke while playing at Michigan.
I hated Duke, and I hated everything I felt Duke stood for. Schools like Duke didn’t recruit players like me. I felt like they only recruited black players that were Uncle Toms.
To many, that’s still the perception of Duke, regardless of the race of its players.
Elite. Soft. Spoiled. Prissy. Coddled.
If Mike Dunleavy is trying to singlehandedly change that image, he’s having a pretty good few weeks.
He tangled with DeMarcus Cousins. Taj Gibson talked about him riding the New York City subway alone late at night while already in the NBA. And last night, he took an elbow to the face and returned after getting 10 stitches, playing excellently.
Joakim Noah in our postgame interview, on Mike Dunleavy's clutch 2nd half after 10 stitches: "He's finally giving Duke some credibility"—
Rachel Nichols (@Rachel__Nichols) March 14, 2014
Personally, I find the increasingly common discussion about whether Joakim Noah deserves third-place MVP votes a bit off. Don’t get me wrong. I care about the minutia of runner-up award voting far more than anyone should (just wait until I dig into that later in the season), and Noah is having an excellent year. But, for me, it’s a four-man race between Stephen Curry, Blake Griffin, Kevin Love and Chris Paul – though others like Noah, Carmelo Anthony, Anthony Davis and James Harden still have time to work their way into the discussion.
But that was an MVP quote by Noah if there ever was one.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20