Mar 14, 2014, 2:58 PM EDT
Mike Woodson knows what is coming.
It is expected that some time in the next 72 hours Phil Jackson will put pen to paper and become the president of basketball operations for the Knicks. When the season ends he’s going to clean house (CAA is not going to enjoy the experience), bringing in his people to go with what is a good front office staff in place (just one too often ignored). Woodson will be out as coach and someone Jackson has a relationship with will get that chair.
Then Woodson may well go home again.
By home I mean his alma mater of Indiana. That could happen, reports the New York Daily News.
According to a source, Woodson would be a top candidate at his alma mater, Indiana University, if current coach Tom Crean does not return. The source claims that several prominent IU boosters are pushing to buy out Crean and install Woodson, a product of Indianapolis, as the coach.
Last season, Crean led Indiana to a Big Ten title and a No. 1 seeding in the NCAA Tournament. On Thursday, the Hoosiers (17-15) were knocked out of the conference tournament in the first round. The Hoosiers are hopeful to receive an NIT bid. Woodson has never been a college head coach.
Woodson played for Bobby Knight and along side Isiah Thomas for the Hoosiers, he was one of the stars on the 1980 sweet 16 team.
On first blush my thought is that is awfully quick to can a college coach who had Indiana looking on the road back a year ago, but expectations are high (unreasonably high for some) in Indiana and I really have no idea if Crean is the long-term answer or not.
I also have no idea if Woodson can coach at the college level. Neither does anyone at Indiana. It’s not a question of Xs and Os, Woodson can hold his own there just fine (I hope those IU players know how to switch on picks), but can he recruit? He has an NBA pedigree and that’s a nice thing to sell to prospective players, but the college game is really all about recruiting and nobody knows if Woodson would be good at that or not.
Just consider it something to watch as the winds of change sweep through Madison Square Garden.
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 3
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 41
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 53
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44