Mar 14, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
But with the Hawks playing better than expected for rookie coach Mike Budenholzer — thanks to an All-Star year from Paul Millsap — Atlanta is going to be a playoff team (barring an utter collapse while the suddenly hot Knicks keep it going, the combination of which is not likely). With Horford Atlanta was the third best team in the East, could he return for the postseason?
“No. I think it would be hard. This injury, honestly, was a little more severe than the other (time he had the same injury),” he explained Thursday in his first meeting with reporters since the injury. “And it’s my right side, shooting arm, and I need to feel 100 percent confident with it, so I think it’s going to be a little bit slower.”
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $90,000 Fantasy Basketball league forFriday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $10,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
If you’re looking for a positive spin, Horford could come back a better player.
“I’ve always neglected and hated using my left hand . . . so I think this is going to really challenge me to work on that,” he said. “It’s a big challenge but I’m up for it.”
It will just be next season before we see that left hand.
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 0
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 3
- LeBron James and his difficult-to-assess super teams 6
- Kevin Durant on return: “I’m not going to rush it all” 7
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Dallas Mavericks 5
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 34
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 80
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 20