Steve Nash responds to backlash on day team officially says he is done for season (VIDEO)

Mar 13, 2014, 2:14 PM EST

Steve Nash is honest — yes, he wanted that last year and $9 million.

Nash also says the obvious — every one of the people commenting on this site or calling talk shows saying he should not have played 10 games this season (too many to get a medial retirement), that Nash should have walked away, would have done the exact same thing he did if roles were reversed.

If you comment that you wouldn’t have, you are lying, at least to yourself. And you don’t love the game. Because if you get one thing out of this great Grantland series of Steve Nash comeback videos it’s that he does love basketball and doesn’t want to leave. Not this way. He wants to leave on his own terms.

That will come next season as the team has shut him down for the rest of this campaign. That was expected.

Nash has the same drive to get back from injuries, the same passion for the game Kobe Bryant has, he just doesn’t choose to wear it on his sleeve. It’s the kind of passion Laker fans should want on their team, in their locker room, he is the kind of player they should embrace. That some choose not to is sad and disingenuous.

But Nash in this video answers his critics far better than I can.

1. calkinsrob - Mar 13, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Loving this series!

• pbtunpaidwriter - Mar 13, 2014 at 4:34 PM

I hope I haven’t seen the last of Nash…

2. pacers24 - Mar 13, 2014 at 2:36 PM

i love the rawness of this series but good lord its so depressing and dark.

but nash is a true baller, wish him the best

3. crillbill - Mar 13, 2014 at 2:45 PM

He’s old.

The end.

• apkyletexas - Mar 13, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Where’s all the guys saying this team is not a dumpster fire?

• 00maltliquor - Mar 13, 2014 at 11:04 PM

RIGHT HERE!
        **raises hand emphatically**

4. stayhigh_247 - Mar 13, 2014 at 2:56 PM

those lying ass callers act like they wouldn’t have played the 10 games too! Thats a lot of dough, especially at the end of your career, and I’m not suggesting he did it for the money but come on, be realistic.

5. anonymous135 - Mar 13, 2014 at 3:42 PM

mvp.. 2x
    Don’t question that heart

6. dablakdrphil - Mar 13, 2014 at 3:49 PM

From a fan standpoint yes, you want Nash to retire because playing here and there and being gone for weeks only to play a game here and there and then be gone for months, it’s extremely frustrating

From Nash’s point of view I understand it to. He gets major credit for being honest about the money and not trying to suger coat it. If I was in his position at 40 years of age and going on 41 next February I would take that money to. One thing is for sure D’antoni will not be back next season and whoever the new coach may be I’m pretty sure he will be keeping a close eye on Steve Nash’s recovery.

7. asimonetti88 - Mar 13, 2014 at 4:11 PM

No one questions his love for the game… but at some point, it’s time to stop. Nash right now is like the guy at the bar at 1:30 AM trying to find someone to do one more tequila shot before last call.

• paleihe - Mar 13, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Who doesn’t want a tequila shot before the bar closes?

• asimonetti88 - Mar 13, 2014 at 6:30 PM

I meant to say overly drunk guy trying to find someone to do a tequila shot he doesn’t need.

• 00maltliquor - Mar 13, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Multiple DUI offenders.

lol

• nucat90 - Mar 14, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Especially if the bar owner already promised to give him one more if he just stuck around a little longer.

8. antistratfordian - Mar 13, 2014 at 6:14 PM

I am not convinced that Nash cares about the game that much – or as much as he did when he was younger. I think he cares more about how deep his pockets are going to be in retirement (fair) – which, honestly, since he’s an introspective and thoughtful fellow, he would’ve already come to realize how insignificant playing a sport is anyway in the grand scheme of life – especially one you have to stop in your 30s.

His selection of team and city only made sense for personal reasons, because it made absolutely no sense for basketball reasons.

• paleihe - Mar 13, 2014 at 6:56 PM

His choosing the Lakers was definitely more personal than anything basketball related. He hasn’t hid that fact at all. It was close to AZ, which is where his kids were. He hasn’t made that a secret in any way.

I personally love basketball, and if I was fortunate enough to do is as a career, I’d try to delay retirement as much as possible also. That’s why many players play well past their prime (at least that’s what I think), especially after they’ve already made boatloads of money.

• antistratfordian - Mar 13, 2014 at 8:18 PM

I know he hasn’t made it a secret – so there is no point in masquerading as if there was any other reason.

And this bit about, ” if I was fortunate enough to do is as a career, I’d try to delay retirement as much as possible also” is coming from someone who hasn’t had to go through the full reality of it for 18 years.

I’m sure Nash still likes playing the game – but his personal situation has changed completely, and he understandably has different goals now. I don’t think winning a ring is very high on his priority list.

• paleihe - Mar 14, 2014 at 1:44 AM

I do agree, winning a ring isn’t high on the priority list.

Being able to play at all is probably all he’s looking for at this point. He’s looking to retire having contributed to a team. Not just retiring because he wasn’t physically able to play.

• ranfan12 - Mar 15, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Lol he teamed up with a top 5 center and guard. how did that not make sense.

• antistratfordian - Mar 18, 2014 at 5:17 AM

Nash needs the ball, Kobe needs the ball. That’s problem 1.

Actually, that’s the only problem I need to bring up – it was never going to work.

• ranfan12 - Mar 18, 2014 at 3:26 PM

good point.forgot about that

9. turkbox420 - Mar 13, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Do series`s on Kobe , Tim Duncan and KG Grantland, the next MVP`s with 1 foot out of the door.

Next season (If they do not retire after this season…)
    Manu Ginobili, Vince Carter, Paul Pierce Ray Allen, and…mmm Derek Fisher`s daily routines of stretching etc..

Chauncey Billups is looking rough, maybe follow his comeback if he tries to.

Come to Indy next Year Nash, Pick n pop w/ DWest and oops to Roy and PG24, get dem checks and a ring.
    Miami, San Antonio, OKC, most likely LAC (he said he is not playing outside of LA) all are ring jumping teams. Phx has improved too, maybe go full circle and retire. Or Toronto and he will have the fastest highest selling jersey in the history of sports.

10. jason9696 - Mar 13, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Steve Nash has a face only a mother could love.

• sportsfan18 - Mar 14, 2014 at 10:36 AM

And many girl friends too… as he’ll have earned OVER $137 million dollars just from basketball salary alone by the end of this season…

11. shanelsweet - Mar 13, 2014 at 10:24 PM

So don’t play 10 games next year and take the medical then, or did the Lakers not get the 2 year insurance policy coverage? Asking any player to lose money when you’re the Lakers just sounds silly.

12. jimbobogie - Mar 13, 2014 at 10:38 PM

I don’t know how many people are aware that Steve Nash was named GM of the Canadian National team last year. Where is his first loyalty? (Methinks it’s to neither the Lakers nor Basketball Canada).

Maybe Basketball Canada should take a look at Dave Smart of Carleton.

13. 00maltliquor - Mar 13, 2014 at 11:13 PM

God bless Steve Nash. Keep your head up Nashty.

14. sumkat - Mar 13, 2014 at 11:30 PM

It depends. I could see some criticism if he’s done. But if he’s still trying to come, I don’t see the problem.

If he is done, then I honestly can’t say. I’d LIKE to say that if I thought I was done, I’d just walk away and not worry about the money. But 9 million is a lot of cash. On the other hand, he should already be financially set, and then some for life. But since I’ve never been in the position to be financially set for life, or to make 9 million in a year (let alone think about walking away from it) I can’t really say

15. adoombray - Mar 13, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Actually, I think the series is terrible, and I don’t know why everyone insists on calling it great. You can see variations on the series on the vast swaths of cable television that is dedicated to reality TV. Bill Simmons’ gushing about how happy he was to work with one of his all time favorites on producing the series was puff piece extraordinaire. He’s playing on all your sympathies when the worlds tiniest violin plays for him.

I believe his moping about and sadness on camera about as much as I believe that what happens on Real Housewives of whatever is actually real. He is one of the top 25 most paid athletes of his career, lives in Los Angeles and will go down as one of the all time greats. I’d love to see him tell a player who lasts maybe the 2 years of his guaranteed rookie contract then washes the league how miserable he is. I’d love to see him mope around on a basketball court in the projects full of kids that will never make it to the NBA how miserable it must be to have to retire.

• sportsfan18 - Mar 14, 2014 at 10:44 AM

You don’t have to see why everyone insists on calling it great.

It doesn’t have to be great for you.

Some folks like living in the big city, some in the country.

Some like rock n roll, some like country music or classical.

So many differences in all things, food, styles of clothes etc…

You know this and we all know this. Yet you say you “don’t know why everyone insists on calling it great.”

Fine, you don’t like it, others don’t as well. But many do like it. So WHY say you don’t know why others like it?

You know some folks like fancy clothes, some like jeans and t-shirts, some like soccer and some like football (NFL variety).

This is no different. Different people like different things but when you say you don’t know why some insist on calling the series good, well it shows that you DON’T know this, that others like different things.

So you REALLY don’t know why others like this huh?

16. noleitup - Mar 14, 2014 at 7:52 AM

If I had already made hmmm i dunno 50mil over my career then no i would not have stolen money from a franchise

• nickjackalson - Mar 14, 2014 at 8:15 AM

stealing is kind of harsh..no?
      would you say he forced the lakers to sign players way past their primes (kobe,too) to ridiculous contracts worth boatloads of money, yes?
      if you´re jealous or something, why not try forcing the Lakers to sign you to a contract worth all that money??

..?

17. mungman69 - Mar 14, 2014 at 8:02 AM

They retired the Nash (automobile) in the mid 50s.
    This Nash lasted 60 years longer.
    Take the money that you signed on for.

18. mungman69 - Mar 14, 2014 at 8:05 AM

Take that money.

19. misremembered72 - Mar 14, 2014 at 9:33 AM

makes me hate lakers fans even more

20. omniusprime - Mar 14, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Only a total ignoramus sports pundit like Kurt Helin would think that Trash Nash has given the Lakers anything of value. Sorry clueless pundit boy but Trash Nash has nothing to say that can justify his stealing millions from the Lakers for doing absolutely nothing in return. To want to return next year to steal even more millions for not playing is a travesty that can never be defended except by some degenerate republicon.

If Trash Nash were an honest man he would retire now and apologize for taking so long to make the correct decision. We can see that Trash Nash is a degenerate scumbag who is only in it for the money. Only a degenerate scumbag would defend this worthless piece of trash for stealing so much money.

Fire Trash Nash & Dumbtoni Now!

21. stephenlin - Mar 14, 2014 at 1:03 PM

I don’t care for the Nash haters or the Lakers haters. I really wish that Nash can go out the right way.

22. andreboy1 - Mar 14, 2014 at 2:31 PM

He’s stealing money. He knows it. Fans know it. Everybody knows it. I have no doubt he is doing his best to rehab but his body is not responding and likely never will.

• ranfan12 - Mar 15, 2014 at 5:12 PM

lmao, lakers knew what they signed up for when they signed him at 37/38

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches