Mar 13, 2014, 12:52 PM EST
J.J. Redick has missed more than a month and counting with a bulging disc in his back.
He’s a strong shooter and underrated defender – the type of role player the Clippers surely want for their playoff run.
The team will determine in the upcoming weeks whether Redick is healthy enough to rejoin the team. If he’s not, the club will likely shut Redick down for the rest of the season in an attempt to have him ready for training camp next year.
I don’t understand why the Clippers would self-impose a deadline on this.
But what’s the harm in hoping he can return later, even if he’s not ready “in the upcoming weeks”?
In Redick’s 863 minutes with the Clippers, their offensive rating has been 113.3 – a better mark than anyone on the team had produced. There’s very clearly potential here for him to help.
Sure, there might be issues re-acclimating him, and the Clippers surely don’t prefer to do that during the heat of the playoffs. Considering Redick is in his first year in Los Angeles, that certainly won’t be seamless.
But Redick doesn’t even need to start. Heck, he doesn’t even need to play.
He just deserves a chance to get back into the rotation. Willie Green hasn’t been so great that Redick can’t overtake him for the backup role.
And if Redick proves incapable of doing that, no big deal. But the Clippers would at least know they gave themselves the best chance to find the players who can help them win a championship this season.
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 3
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 2
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 33
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 16
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 30
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6