Mar 13, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT
A month and a half ago, Magic Johnson pledged to stop complaining about the Lakers.
He’s almost kind of sort of barely maybe trying to live up to that.
I love Jim & Jeanie Buss, but we need Phil Jackson to be the face of our great organization, the Los Angeles Lakers.—
Earvin Magic Johnson (@MagicJohnson) March 12, 2014
Magic might as well have started that tweet with “No offense, but…”
Starting a message with expressing your love for someone doesn’t excuse complaining about their work directly after. The Busses haven’t hired Phil Jackson, and therefore, Magic is implicitly critiquing how they’ve handled the situation.
And for what?
Jackson is almost certainly headed to the Knicks. Is Magic trying to make a last-ditch effort to get the Zen Master to the Lakers? If so, will tweeting about really make it more likely to happen?
Magic is just creating divisions (or widening existing ones) and seeking attention – exactly what he pledged to stop doing.
Kobe Bryant isn’t happy with the Lakers, either, but he never promised to play good solider. The Lakers should have known they’d be exposing themselves to Kobe’s critiques when they gave him a contract extension during one of the worst seasons in franchise history.
I’m not sure what they can do about Magic’s burns, besides take them and hope the relationship eventually heals.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47