Mar 13, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT
A month and a half ago, Magic Johnson pledged to stop complaining about the Lakers.
He’s almost kind of sort of barely maybe trying to live up to that.
I love Jim & Jeanie Buss, but we need Phil Jackson to be the face of our great organization, the Los Angeles Lakers.—
Earvin Magic Johnson (@MagicJohnson) March 12, 2014
Magic might as well have started that tweet with “No offense, but…”
Starting a message with expressing your love for someone doesn’t excuse complaining about their work directly after. The Busses haven’t hired Phil Jackson, and therefore, Magic is implicitly critiquing how they’ve handled the situation.
And for what?
Jackson is almost certainly headed to the Knicks. Is Magic trying to make a last-ditch effort to get the Zen Master to the Lakers? If so, will tweeting about really make it more likely to happen?
Magic is just creating divisions (or widening existing ones) and seeking attention – exactly what he pledged to stop doing.
Kobe Bryant isn’t happy with the Lakers, either, but he never promised to play good solider. The Lakers should have known they’d be exposing themselves to Kobe’s critiques when they gave him a contract extension during one of the worst seasons in franchise history.
I’m not sure what they can do about Magic’s burns, besides take them and hope the relationship eventually heals.
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 22
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 37
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 29
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 15
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 56
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 91
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12