Mar 13, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT
A month and a half ago, Magic Johnson pledged to stop complaining about the Lakers.
He’s almost kind of sort of barely maybe trying to live up to that.
Magic might as well have started that tweet with “No offense, but…”
Starting a message with expressing your love for someone doesn’t excuse complaining about their work directly after. The Busses haven’t hired Phil Jackson, and therefore, Magic is implicitly critiquing how they’ve handled the situation.
And for what?
Jackson is almost certainly headed to the Knicks. Is Magic trying to make a last-ditch effort to get the Zen Master to the Lakers? If so, will tweeting about really make it more likely to happen?
Magic is just creating divisions (or widening existing ones) and seeking attention – exactly what he pledged to stop doing.
Kobe Bryant isn’t happy with the Lakers, either, but he never promised to play good solider. The Lakers should have known they’d be exposing themselves to Kobe’s critiques when they gave him a contract extension during one of the worst seasons in franchise history.
I’m not sure what they can do about Magic’s burns, besides take them and hope the relationship eventually heals.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 16
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 15
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9