Steve Kerr confirms his interest in coaching, understands speculation that he will join Phil Jackson with Knicks
Mar 12, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
As the reports continue to trickle in regarding Phil Jackson taking a prominent role in the Knicks front office, one of the major decisions this offseason for Jackson or anyone else running the team will be that of what to do with the head coaching position.
Mike Woodson will almost certainly not be back next season, and most wonder why he’s still around now. There will be no shortage of candidates to replace him, but one intriguing name has previous ties to Jackson, and thus, the rumors have already begun.
Steve Kerr seems like a compelling choice, and working for someone he knows and trusts in Jackson would certainly make some sense. But Kerr isn’t ready to entertain that notion just yet.
“I understand the speculation,” Kerr said. “I’ve said I wanted to coach at some point in my life, I know Phil, I played for him [with the Bulls]. People are sort of connecting the dots, but it’s very uncomfortable commenting on speculation, especially when it comes to someone else’s jobs.”
No one would comment publicly on a potential job opportunity when it’s currently filled, as it’s a sure-fire way to lose respect quickly within any given profession. But the possibility of Kerr teaming up with Jackson remains intriguing nonetheless.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37