Steve Kerr confirms his interest in coaching, understands speculation that he will join Phil Jackson with Knicks

Mar 12, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT

Steve Kerr Getty Images

As the reports continue to trickle in regarding Phil Jackson taking a prominent role in the Knicks front office, one of the major decisions this offseason for Jackson or anyone else running the team will be that of what to do with the head coaching position.

Mike Woodson will almost certainly not be back next season, and most wonder why he’s still around now. There will be no shortage of candidates to replace him, but one intriguing name has previous ties to Jackson, and thus, the rumors have already begun.

Steve Kerr seems like a compelling choice, and working for someone he knows and trusts in Jackson would certainly make some sense. But Kerr isn’t ready to entertain that notion just yet.

From Justin Terranova of the New York Post:

“I understand the speculation,” Kerr said. “I’ve said I wanted to coach at some point in my life, I know Phil, I played for him [with the Bulls]. People are sort of connecting the dots, but it’s very uncomfortable commenting on speculation, especially when it comes to someone else’s jobs.”

No one would comment publicly on a potential job opportunity when it’s currently filled, as it’s a sure-fire way to lose respect quickly within any given profession. But the possibility of Kerr teaming up with Jackson remains intriguing nonetheless.

1. cantonbound13 - Mar 12, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Jackson & Kerr is much better than Mills & Woodson.

• leahcima1 - Mar 12, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Good move. A basketball brain can do wonders in NY if Dolan gives him control. Good luck. Hope the Heat and Knicks meet one day in the seventh game of the Eastern Conference finals. That would be fun.

• chicagosports2014 - Mar 12, 2014 at 6:12 PM

2 CHICAGO GUYS_I LOVE THIS!

2. ravenswhat - Mar 12, 2014 at 2:33 PM

In other words it’s a done deal.

3. nykfanwakemeupin2015 - Mar 12, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Not sure how I feel about this…..

4. cruzan80 - Mar 12, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Unless the Knicks get another star on the roster THIS summer to join Melo….none of this Phil Jackson/Steve Kerr stuff matters. Riley & Spolstra looks great only because Riley loaded the team with 3 perennial All-Stars…………I can “coach” the Heat to the Finals.

• leahcima1 - Mar 12, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Did they leave the door unlocked at the asylum? You could coach the Heat to the finals. How stupid can you be? Rhetorical. I know from your statement how stupid you can be. To the max.

• drobstad - Mar 12, 2014 at 4:51 PM

I don’t find that comment stupid at all. I believe anybody could coach the heat to the championship. They stacked their team with 3 super stars before the league changed their salary cap rules to ensure they had minimal competition.
        I think the general consensus outside of Miami is that anybody could coach that team to a championship. Give Melo Rondo and Love in 2 years and that all may change.

• leahcima1 - Mar 12, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Really. Minimum competition. There are 10, 12 teams in the league with 3 super stars. OKC, Spurs, Houston, Pacers, etc. You have no idea what it takes to be a professional basketball, hockey, football coach, or big league manager. You don’t just fill out a line up card and send the boys out to play. The average fan is ignorant of the nuances of sports. I’ll retract my “stupid” adjective and replace it with “ignorant”.

• tourch55 - Mar 12, 2014 at 6:24 PM

I here a lot of idiots say that., all the great teams had 3 superstars ,the bulls in the 90’s and the celtic and lakers of the 80’s the only difference is the heat players did it on there own, and chose were they played. For some reason that seem to bother people even though they can pick were they want to work. Maybe there jealous because there stuck at there job because no one else want them

• jimeejohnson - Mar 12, 2014 at 8:20 PM

“here”?

• nickjackalson - Mar 13, 2014 at 5:15 AM

Hey cruzan80 – I can do your job (not knowing what it is or who you are) 10times better than you!

..just cos I say so..

smh
        ..the trolls and the internet..

&drobstad
        don´t you think there´s a reason Spo is their coach and not you?

Both of you scarcely manage to coach your butts off the couch, yet you sound cocksure like worldbeaters..nsf

• cruzan80 - Mar 13, 2014 at 10:07 AM

At leahcimal & nickjack,

Please take this moment to untie the knot in your panties. The comment “I can “coach” the Heat to the Finals” was OBVIOUSLY made tongue in cheek. My point, was that at the end of the day…TALENT win championships….especially in the NBA. There’s NEVER a “shocker” in the Finals….we know since October who are most likely to be playing in June….unlike MLB & the NFL.

So do yourselves a favor & calm down….really isn’t that serious.

5. blakegblogs - Mar 12, 2014 at 4:13 PM

I would love this to happen

6. campcouch - Mar 12, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Somehow the Heat wound up on a board about Phil Jackson,Steve Kerr and the Knicks. Their fans,you know the ones who left Game 7…troll every article. It’s a hobby right?

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches