Mar 12, 2014, 6:16 PM EDT
Kobe Bryant expects the Lakers front office to turn the Lakers roster around fast. By the start of next season fast (when he will return from his fractured knee). I expect Emily Ratajkowski to call me so we can go out tonight. You can expect whatever you want, doesn’t make it reality.
But if Kobe wants a coaching change… that could happen.
Bryant, sources said, has “no interest” in playing for D’Antoni next season, and wants a new coach in place for the ’14-’15 season.
As Deveney notes, ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith suggested Mike D’Antoni would be ousted so the Lakers could chase Carmelo Anthony this summer. I don’t know Smith’s sources, but they sound pretty New York based. I’ll simply say from Los Angeles the Lakers are lukewarm at best on going hard at Carmelo Anthony. Does anyone really see him and Kobe as making the team a contender and providing the franchise a good base for the future?
However nobody in Los Angeles seems to think D’Antoni is the long-term answer, either.
The reason to bring him back is to save money and try to find some young gems. If the Lakers are going to be relatively bad (likely better than this year with a healthy Kobe and a high draft pick) why spend the extra money to bring in another coach?
Because Kobe wants it.
Because Mike D’Antoni’s run-and-gun style is a poor fit for 35-year-old Kobe who operates best as a post or elbow player at this point in his career.
That’s two good reasons (plus most of the fan base would welcome it). Elite players should at least be consulted by teams on issues and personnel (something Kobe expressed Wednesday he is frustrated is not happening right now). And as the Lakers are selling Kobe the next couple years to the fan base as they rebuild — he should be happy and in an offense that works for him.
D’Antoni is on thin ice however you view it. Everything in Los Angeles is not his fault — the Lakers have done a very poor job of giving him elite talent that fits his system (the roster was why he was an odd hire to begin with) — but he is going to take the fall. The question is when.
If Kobe wants it sooner rather than later….
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29