Mar 12, 2014, 5:08 PM EDT
Kobe Bryant had expressed his frustration with his knee healing slowly before. He also had said he planned to bring the Lakers back to their old selves next season.
So it shouldn’t be a surprise that on the day it was made official he is out for the season Kobe sounded frustrated, said he plans to lead the Lakers back next season and called out the Lakers front office to make some moves.
Byant spoke to the media less than an hour after it became official that the Lakers were shutting him down for the season. Mike Trudell of lakers.com quoted Kobe on his frustration.
Kobe may get back to somewhere close to his pre-injury self, but even adding that Kobe to this roster likely would not mean making the playoffs in the West. Most Laker observers (myself included) think the Lakers are on a multi-year rebuilding project and next year’s Lakers, while likely better than this version, is not going to be very good.
Kobe has no patience for that, as tweeted by Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times.
An NBA star of Kobe’s stature and longevity is usually consulted by the team about moves, or at least informed. That he has not been doesn’t speak well of management. It’s one thing to let them run the ship, but it’s another not to confer with your elite talent. Agents and other players talk about these kinds of things.
It is possible the Lakers turn it around this summer — it is possible Minnesota realizes they will not re-sign Kevin Love and look to trade him to L.A. — but it’s not likely. Which means a very frustrated Kobe next season.
By the way, Kobe also got in a dig at the Clippers. Just for fun.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 29
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 3
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 8
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5