Mar 12, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
The Wizards gave Wall a maximum contract a year before they had to. Why not wait to see whether Wall stayed healthy this season or progressed as hoped?
If all went well, re-signing him would remain on the table. If not, Washington would have avoided a costly mistake.
But players aren’t robots. They’re human beings with thoughts and emotions.
That’s why Washington extended Wall when it did — for moments like this, when the Wizards started the season 2-7.
Essentially, teammates gave Wall the room, centered him in a classroom setting and asked: What should our roles be? You’re the heralded franchise star, the organization’s maximum salary designation. How about you tell us?
“From that day forward, I knew I was the guy, the leader, and I knew that they trusted me,” Wall told RealGM. “I let everybody know what I thought about our state. I think we were passing the ball, but when you’re not playing good for a stretch, frustration sets in. So guys find a way to blame it on somebody else or something else. Nene told me to stand up in front of the whole team and told me, ‘You’re our leader, you’re our franchise guy, so tell us what you think everybody’s roles are.’
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $110,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Wednesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $12,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
The Wizards made no secret making the playoffs this season was their primary goal, and with 19 games remaining and a an 8.5 game buffer, they’re going to do it.
Wall’s improved leadership has played a major role in that happening.
But empowered by management to lead and undistracted by a looming free agency, Wall has set a new agenda in Washington.
I’m not totally convinced the Wizards handled Wall’s extension the best way possible, but there was a method to their madness. Wall’s locker room speech showed it.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20