Mar 11, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT
To be fair to the ball boy, nobody expects Tyler Hansbrough to make a steal on the perimeter then race out on the fast break by himself.
The above happened Monday night late in a close game between Brooklyn and Toronto (with the win Brooklyn is now within three games of the Raptors for the Atlantic division lead, a gap it will not close as Toronto has a much easier schedule ahead). Tied at 90-90 with 3:15 left in the fourth Hansbrough strips Andray Blatche and it is off to the races.
A towel boy out dutifully wiping sweat up off the court is forced to scramble back to the sidelines to avoid getting trampled. He does so with a dramatic dive that almost takes out a referee.
Hansbrough misses the layup. The announcers try to say the ball boy’s distraction had something to do with it, but I think the bigger issue was we are talking Hansbrough — he is shooting 55.9 percent at the rim this season without ball boys in the way. There was a 44 percent chance he was going to miss.
Hat tip to The Brooklyn Game for the video.
- Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension 6
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 43
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 19
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70