Mar 11, 2014, 1:10 PM EST
To be fair to the ball boy, nobody expects Tyler Hansbrough to make a steal on the perimeter then race out on the fast break by himself.
The above happened Monday night late in a close game between Brooklyn and Toronto (with the win Brooklyn is now within three games of the Raptors for the Atlantic division lead, a gap it will not close as Toronto has a much easier schedule ahead). Tied at 90-90 with 3:15 left in the fourth Hansbrough strips Andray Blatche and it is off to the races.
A towel boy out dutifully wiping sweat up off the court is forced to scramble back to the sidelines to avoid getting trampled. He does so with a dramatic dive that almost takes out a referee.
Hansbrough misses the layup. The announcers try to say the ball boy’s distraction had something to do with it, but I think the bigger issue was we are talking Hansbrough — he is shooting 55.9 percent at the rim this season without ball boys in the way. There was a 44 percent chance he was going to miss.
Hat tip to The Brooklyn Game for the video.
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 0
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 1
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 35
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 8
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 9
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 20
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 19