Suns’ P.J. Tucker ejected after elbow thrown to Blake Griffin’s head (VIDEO)

Mar 11, 2014, 1:18 AM EDT

LOS ANGELES — Before his Suns took on the Los Angeles Clippers Monday night, coach Jeff Hornacek talked about liking his team’s toughness, saying its something he took away from playing under Jerry Sloan in Utah and tried to pass along to this squad.

Not sure this is exactly what he meant.

Midway through the fourth quarter P.J. Tucker and Blake Griffin got tangled up, went to the ground with Griffin on top and that’s when Tucker threw a forarm/elbow/punch at Griffin. Not really sure how to describe it other than it was a “get off of me” move by Tucker, not one that made a real connection with the target.

But it was easily more than enough. The swing got Tucker ejected (and only he was assessed a personal foul on the play). You can be sure the league will add a suspension to that.

“We got tangled up and went down and, you know,” Griffin said with a grin after the game.”Took a little forearm. But you know, it happens, I’ll let somebody else handle that.”

That’s not how the Suns saw it.

“(Tucker) got tackled, I’m not even sure how the foul was on him,” Suns coach Jeff Hornacek said. “He’s standing there, Blake takes him right to the ground and rolls on top of him and he’s just trying to get him off. I don’t know why that would be a suspension.”

That would be a coach sticking up for his player. As he should. Suns fans probably saw it as instant Karma that Griffin fouled out just more two minutes later after back-to-back offensive fouls. The Clippers held on to win the game 112-105.

Hat tip to Ben Golliver at SI’s The Point Forward for the video.

1. eureca323 - Mar 11, 2014 at 1:31 AM

Looked like Blake was pulled to the grown by Tucker then pretty much sucker punched. Didn’t watch the game. I gotta guess there was something else during the game that angered Tucker because Blake didn’t do much there.

• CM Diaz - Mar 11, 2014 at 10:01 AM

True.

PJ Tucker really shows the NBA world what a coward he really is trying to sneak in a sucker punch and then acting like it was an accident. Either way hats off to Blake who had an incredible game. His jump shot has really developed into such a weapon – good for you bro!

Rockets fan

• pbtunpaidwriter - Mar 11, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Griffin did start it by falling all over him. Hard to blame Tucker after Griffin instigated it…

2. imthedudedude - Mar 11, 2014 at 1:35 AM

Exactly… Blake didn’t do anything.. Which angered Tucker.. If u fall on someone, don’t just look at the ref with your hands up looking for a foul. Get your lazy butt off the ground and off of another person. I wouldn’t let some chump lay on top of me either. Props PJ!

3. jerdogthompson - Mar 11, 2014 at 1:42 AM

First off, hats off to Jeff et all for battling back and making it close in a another loss for PHX.

THE thing I find remarkable is how the refs step in before BG goes MMA style and I know he was going for a superman there had the refs not intervened. PJ finds himself listed as just another Bit** along with;

*Chalmers
    *Cousins
    *gasol (Memphis)
    *Jason Smith
    *greg steisma (sp?)
    *Draymond green
    *plays center for GS part time but his name escapes me because, well I shouldn’t say.

The list grows as bit**es try their best to unseed the almighty.

#InDocwetrust

• bjswoosh805 - Mar 11, 2014 at 1:51 AM

dude u forgot Serge Ibaka frm OKC?

• bjswoosh805 - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:01 AM

First off i really dont appreciate you calling those players you mentioned bit****
      i for one would like to see you say that to their face personally and see who the real bit** is.
      Also training like an MMA or w/ MMA fighter doesnt give you the probability of winning the fight if you were to against 7 footer like IBaka, Marc Gasol or Demarcus Cousins.

• tuberippin - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:37 AM

“the almighty.”

LOL. Clips are having a great year, but they’ve won exactly one (1) division title in their history…and it was last year. Zero championships, zero Finals appearances, zero Western Conference championships. This might indeed be their year, but maybe take your BS down a couple notches and hold off until the Clippers actually get somewhere first, hmm?

• spthegr8 - Mar 11, 2014 at 11:53 AM

^^^^^ Beat me to it.!! ^^^^^

4. jerdogthompson - Mar 11, 2014 at 1:48 AM

Really Kurt?

Get off me move? Perhaps PJ shouldn’t be pulling BG upon himself? Just a guess.

You impress me with one article and disappoint me with three. Why haven’t you moved on, is my only question.

Clippers are the best in the West and you REFUSE to admit that fact. Just remember
    DENIAL is not a river that runs through Egypt man.

#InDocwetrust

5. spyder9669 - Mar 11, 2014 at 1:58 AM

You’re quite the tool chest there buddy. Anybody with eye’s could see Blake put all his weight into Tucker and deserved to be taken down. You wanna act tough to a guy that actually had to scratch and claw just to make an NBA team, you better bring it bc PJ isn’t backing down to anyone let alone a soft as hell Blake Griffin.

• abchome - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:14 AM

PJ Sucker Punch!

6. tuberippin - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:30 AM

What Griffin did was some BS. I think most players would take issue with you falling down and doing the “oh man my whole weight is on you, I can’t seem to get up” act. Superstar or not, that’s a disrespectful move and it’s surprising more players don’t react the way PJ Tucker did in this situation.

That said, what PJ Tucker did was uncalled for, and he’s lucky there was a teammate and also DeAndre Jordan right there to break it up, because it seemed pretty clear that Blake Griffin was ready to get a couple knocks in.

7. campcouch - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:46 AM

Shoving and wild swings on a basketball court isn’t a measure of toughness. Go a few rounds in a combat sport and I’ll give you that…Blake did his usual “falling on the guy” move. PJ pushed him in the head to get him off…because most dudes don’t like other dudes laying on them. The teams ran in,Blake barked,PJ woofed,life moves on.

8. big64d - Mar 11, 2014 at 8:19 AM

Blake was so mad, i thought he was going to open hand slap him. You know since everyone is SOOO tough in the NBA. I believe that fighting style is called the Back pedal Pump!!!

9. reesesteel23 - Mar 11, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Just once I want Blake to punch somebody in the chops..

10. redbullenergydrink - Mar 11, 2014 at 10:34 AM

OUCH!

11. imakcds - Mar 11, 2014 at 11:48 AM

I do not like Blake Griffin, and this vid supports my pov.
    His history is filled with other players from many different teams going off on Blake, there has to be reasons why it happens repeatedly. Who’s the Cheap Shot Artist here?
    Blake caused the 2 to fall, his physicality in establishing position was over the top.
    Notice, when the 2 are down, Blake’s right hand, down about waist level. Just what is he doing? It was then that PJ reacted with the punch.
    Blake is the Instigator, it’s in his history, but he’s protected by the NBA, because of his amazing talents.
    But Griffin IS A PUNK.

12. peddealer - Mar 11, 2014 at 11:50 AM

If you are a male b***h, then just call em “Mitches”

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches