Karl Malone calls his flip phone ‘a masterpiece,’ proudly display it during interview

Mar 11, 2014, 10:43 AM EDT

Karl Malone (hat tip: Matt Moore of CBSSports.com):

What you guys don’t realize, this is a masterpiece. It’s kind of like anything else. You keep it long enough, it’s going to come back in style – kind of like bell bottoms.

I love how proudly Malone holds his phone during that interview. He’s showing it off as if it were a championship ring. (Zing!)

Also, does Malone believe bell bottoms are in style? Or they will come back in style again?

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $70,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.

1. spursareold - Mar 11, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Also, Mr. Malone would like you to get off his lawn…

2. genericcommenter - Mar 11, 2014 at 11:33 AM

I remember when people with flip phones used to make fun of people with flat multifunction phones.

3. chiadam - Mar 11, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Karl Malone doesn’t need your fancy phones and internets!

4. azarkhan - Mar 11, 2014 at 12:11 PM

The pick and roll with Stockton-Malone was a masterpiece.

• thezeynmaster - Mar 11, 2014 at 11:57 PM

azo?

5. mogogo1 - Mar 11, 2014 at 12:15 PM

He’s right. The flip phone was an awesome design–screen protected when not in use, you couldn’t hit buttons by accident. Plus it looked like the communicators from Star Trek. And once they get the bend-able screen technology down, the idea will probably come back.

6. crik911 - Mar 11, 2014 at 1:23 PM

All jokes aside, You can text and drive waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay easier on a flip phone. In fact no one really cared about txtn’ and driving until touch screens came out. Without the tactile sense of the number pads, phone users are left looking up and down to judge where they are at on the keys.

7. iamjamesmack - Mar 11, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Maybe he finally call his son Demetrius Bell with that phone

• genericcommenter - Mar 11, 2014 at 4:19 PM

But Malone had a lot of brothers!

8. jnoah13 - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:07 PM

I still have my samsung flip phone from 2005, i still use it.

say that about a smartphone? probably cant. i had a smartphone that lasted me 3 months. Ill still to the classics.

im 23 though and not 50 like malone

9. trevor123698 - Mar 11, 2014 at 7:58 PM

I’m in my twenties and own a flip phone as well. I couldnt even imagione paying the outrageous price to own a smartphone that I wouldnt use

10. leighbbrown - Mar 12, 2014 at 1:16 AM

You can pick up a low-end, no-contract “smart” phone now for as little as $20. I picked one up just to learn what all the android stuff is about. And though I don’t have my Nokia flip phone anymore…which I loved more than any phone I’ve had since, I do still have a slider with the pull out keyboard, and I like it fine….using both now. Guess it’s a “dumb” phone, but works for me.

11. allanrice1017 - Mar 12, 2014 at 2:52 PM

i bet he dont have to worry about pocket dailing thats forsure.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches