Jeff Teague went temporarily deaf in one ear during game due to earwax

Mar 11, 2014, 12:25 PM EST

Jeff Teague

I used to clean my ears with cotton swabs, but I no longer do that.

As of right now.

This story scared me straight.

Atlanta Hawks point guard Jeff Teague, via Chris Vivlamore of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

“I couldn’t hear anything out of my left ear, at all,” Teague said. “It hit me they day before we played Golden State. In L.A. I couldn’t hear anything. On the plane, it went crazy.”

A doctor removed a considerable amount of wax from both ears. He advised Teague not to use cotton swabs to clean his ears and that doing so pushes wax deep into the ear canal. Teague said he has used swabs on a daily basis for many years.

“He got it out and now I can hear everything,” Teague said. “It’s like a miracle.”

Teague scored nine points each against the Warriors on Friday and Clippers on Saturday. After going to the doctor, he scored 14 points against the Jazz on Monday.

That uptick probably was probably mostly due to a higher usage and a worse opponent, but I bet his ear health also played a part.

1. tampajoey - Mar 11, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Yummy lunch time article about ear wax. Having trouble keeping my lunch down.

2. sumkat - Mar 11, 2014 at 1:05 PM

So no q-tips?

And my alternative is what?

• jnoah13 - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:04 PM

the natural process that your ears use to get earwax out?

3. slaugin - Mar 11, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Have you not seen the commercials for Wax-B-Gone?

4. timb12 - Mar 11, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Yeah, I want to hear more of the medical side of this. If q tips aren’t for cleaning out earwax, then what’s their purpose? And how do I clean my ears?!

5. thenew013 - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Once the cotton came off the plastic and got stuck in my ear. I damaged my ear so much trying to dig that loose cotton out with tweezers but I just kept pushing it deeper. I still have that cotton in my ear until this day. JK. I just needed a flashlight and a friend and some time for my ear to heal.

6. themagicfanguy - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Qtips are just for the exterior portion of the ear, use a flushing kit or go to the doctor if the inside is blocked. Blockage can cause considerable pain.

7. haaaaasoooooo - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Pro basketball talk. Where you can go for sound medical advice. How do these writers still have jobs? Seriously!

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches