Mar 10, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
There is a theory Jackson is just negotiating with the Knicks in order to secure a job with a better-positioned team – AKA a team that’s not in danger of losing its best player this summer, not capped out, not void of so many future first-round picks – AKA any other team.
If that’s the case, it makes sense Jackson delays the deal. He must give other teams, the Lakers or otherwise, a chance to realize he’s in demand and respond with their own offers.
Maybe becoming the Knicks’ president would be Jackson’s fallback option, or maybe he’s just posturing interest. Either way, if he’s at least eying a better job, he must wait this out.
For the Knicks, they’d probably want to get Jackson acclimated as long before the draft and offseason as possible. So, if they want Jackson, they should apply a little pressure to get this done sooner than later. But there’s no guarantee they’ll do what makes sense, anyway.
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 12
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 31
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8