Patrick Beverley: ‘Damian Lillard whines’

Mar 10, 2014, 8:04 PM EDT

Dwight Howard, Patrick Beverley, Damian Lillard

We’ve got a real nice feud brewing.

Patrick Beverley and Damian Lillard are both tough point guards on contending Western Conference teams. They both overcame long odds to reach the NBA and play with justified pride now that they’re here. And both are unafraid to speak their mind.

Lillard lobbed the opening salvo after Houston’s win over Portland on Sunday, basically calling Beverley a dirty player.

Appearing on Houston radio SportsTalk 790 today, Beverly went through eight and a half minutes of interview until this happened:

• Host: “Hey, Pat, thank you for the time. We’ll talk with you next week.”
  • Beverley: “Are you going to ask me no questions me about Damian Lillard?”

That’s when it got good.

Beverley:

Damian Lillard whines. So, I’m not a big fan of that. I don’t go out there and try to start fights with anybody. I go out there and play my game.

Beverley also referenced Stephen Curry saying, “He makes me better. I love that challenge.”

Beverley on Lillard again:

The way I guard him, the way I guard Steph Curry, the way I guard Chris Paul, the way I guard Goran Dragic, the way I guard Kyrie Irving – I all guard the same players the same. I don’t look at film on players. I don’t look at players’ habits. I go out there and impose my will on people, and I do what I do, and I’m aggressive on defense.

I don’t think Lillard cares how Beverley guards other players. I think Lillard cares how Beverley guards Lillard.

Beverley gets physical. He’s a nuisance. He makes opponents work really hard physically and mentally.

I see why Lillard doesn’t like that, but I also believe Curry’s approach is better for a player facing Beverley. Beverly wants his man to succumb, and Lillard is only encouraging Beverley to increase the pressure.

Because Beverley went so far out of his way to discuss Lillard, I’ll leave him the last word with the rest of his comments:

I don’t care what he says. You’re a grown man. You’re a professional basketball player – professional first.

You always push and shove, and that’s basketball. I don’t know how other people were raised, but that’s basketball. That’s how you grew up playing, battling. You get pushed down. You get back up. You battle the next guy. You should enjoy the competition. No one is going out there to hurt someone, and I was kind of offended the way that he was talking. I’m a positive person. I usually don’t say anything about anything, but if I feel that something is not right, I’m definitely going to mention about it. And the things that he was saying yesterday really bothered me.

1. innovativethinking87 - Mar 10, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Beverly is a scrub he shouldn’t even be in the same breath as Lillard

• pharohislife - Mar 10, 2014 at 8:34 PM

You just managed to make yourself look like a serious Hater and a Serious D__Rider all in one statement, how’d you manage to pull that off.

• chunkala - Mar 10, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Would you still consider him a hater if Beverley’s career takes a downturn over next 1-2 years? Just asking to see how fair you are, since he’s very likely to be a bench warmer in the near future. Time will tell who’s right.

• pharohislife - Mar 10, 2014 at 10:04 PM

@chunkala Well im considering him a hater based off how Beverly is performing this year, I don’t see what the future has to do with it since he used present tense. He said “Beverly “IS” a scrub”. Which at this moment in time is false so time will not tell who’s right that doesn’t make sense.

Now If he said “Beverly “WILL BE” a scrub”, then that’s a different story and your argument would hold some weight, but that’s not the case, so sorry, come again.

• apkyletexas - Mar 10, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Bruce Bowen was a scrub. Derek Fisher is a scrub. Chris Andersen is a scrub. Those guys also have rings.

Sometimes what you need to be a championship team is a scrub – a guy with no pedigree who goes in there and battles and pushes people off their position and dives for balls and scraps all night long. A scrub from Arkansas-Little Rock (Fisher), or Blinn Junior College (Andersen), who never had the opportunity to play for Coach K or to be groomed in one of the premier programs.

• calkinsrob - Mar 10, 2014 at 10:02 PM

Lillard isnt really a good defender, beverly is. Lillard is a much better offensive player and a better overall player. but beverly is no scrub.

2. seattlesuperchronic - Mar 10, 2014 at 8:20 PM

I like Beverly, he’s a feisty little guy.

3. TRO - Mar 10, 2014 at 11:14 PM

Reminds me of the Deshawn Stevenson and Lebron James rivalry.

• divan22 - Mar 11, 2014 at 12:45 AM

You’re getting thumbs down because they know you’re right.

There’s no rivalries between stars and role players. Which is why Beverley is milking this nonsense for all it’s worth. What a joke.

4. divan22 - Mar 11, 2014 at 12:42 AM

The fact that Beverley actually brought Lillard up to the radio host – and not the other way around – says it all.

He’s a NOBODY compared to Damian Lillard and will always be a NOBODY compared to Damian Lillard. So he’s using this little tiff to get attention.

Go ahead and dislike the hell outta this comment. Lillard will be a Hall of Famer one day and Beverley will be asking his grandkids, “Ain’t you gonna ask me about the time I got under Damian Lillard’s skin???”

• innovativethinking87 - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:03 AM

Exactly lmao

• pharohislife - Mar 11, 2014 at 3:39 AM

Hall of Famer? After just a season and a half you can already tell that he’s going to be a Hall of Famer, wow man some talent you got there, im impressed. Or should you maybe just calm down off your own delusional Damian Lillard hype. Not to say he won’t end up in the Hall, but don’t say it like it’s sure thing right now that’s ridiculous.

Right now he’s just one of many young Allstar point guards in this league who has alot of work cut out for himself between now and the end of his Career to differentiate himself from the rest of the league’s point guards and be deserving of the hall.

• jaydagenius - Mar 11, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Lillard brought Beverley up first. He said Beverley is a dirty player and this was his response.

5. sportsfan18 - Mar 11, 2014 at 1:12 AM

neither are smart. they should watch film, study opponents game etc… even great players can learn and get better.

they’re too worried about winning the war of words… spend LESS time talking and more in the film room, weight room and on the practice court…

if a player doesn’t shoot well from a certain spot or two on the floor, a team should force him into those areas…

if a player can’t go left, the team should know this from the man on him to the help behind him as they know his man will over play the right hand side of the man with the ball.

TEAM defense is more important that just one guy trying to “impose his will on someone”

I don’t see much professional about these guys…

6. campcouch - Mar 11, 2014 at 1:13 AM

Oooh,NBA diva drama!

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches